Q. My scalp is itchy, sore and painful with hair fall. Please help.

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia
Published on Nov 03, 2019

I am a 20-year-old male. I am having an itchy, red sore, painful scalp with hair loss. Doctor prescribed me Minoxidil, Multivitamins, and shampoo. I am not using minoxidil because of its side effects. Please help.

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology
#

I have seen your attached photograph. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I hope the following suggestions are able to help you:

1) As of now do not restart Minoxidil as it may end up irritating the scalp further. Of course, you may restart it once the primary issue has settled. Similarly, make sure what kind of shampoo has been suggested to you. I prefer to use a shampoo that has an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and inflammation-reducing properties. e.g. a shampoo containing Betadine (BETADINE-AD Shampoo). Apply the shampoo gently over the scalp with gentle massage and leave on for three to five minutes, then rinse off with cool water. Do this every day for five days, then alternate days for a week. Then you may resume your normal shampoo.

2) The strongest possibility of your scalp sore is that of a scalp Furuncle, which is a bacterial infection of the scalp roots. For this, take the following medicines (I have mentioned few common trade names of the medicines for your benefit).

a) Antibiotic containing Amoxycillin 500 mg and Clavulanic acid 125 mg (625 mg) dose capsules. You need to take one capsule two times a day for five days. Trade names: Capsule Augmentin or Amoclan or Amoxiclav or Clavor.

b) Since any antibiotic may cause a little stomach upset, take a probiotic capsule containing Lactobacilli (yogurt bacteria) once a day or you may also take yogurt twice a day.

c) Anti-inflammatory medicine to reduce pain and swelling. Take a tablet containing Diclofenac Sodium 50 mg twice a day for three days. Take this tablet after breakfast and after dinner. Trade names: Cataflam or Diclofen or Dicloced or Diclogesic or Volfenac.

3) If symptoms persist, it may be a pointer towards a possible fungal infection, for which you will need a hair root test for KOH (Potassium Hydroxide) 10% to detect the fungus.

Hair Loss (Alopecia Areata) Cure Through Homoeopathy

Article Overview: Homeopathic treatment for alopecia areata is reasonably successful. Homeopathic medicines try to cure the immune system disorder that is responsible for hair loss. Read Article

Dr. Priyanka M Arora
Homeopathic Physician

What Is Alopecia Areata? Alopecia areata is a condition where there is hair loss that affects typically the scalp, beard, eyebrows etc in oval or circular patches. Alopecia areata is a common skin disorder which affects all races, both genders and typically younger age groups. In some cases total ...  Read Article

Is it safe to use Minoxidil continuously for male pattern baldness?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from male pattern baldness along with dandruff. Because of dandruff, I keep on itching my scalp. I consulted a doctor, and she recommended me to use Betamethasone dipropionate and Zinc sulphate lotion along with Adgain capsule and a mild medicated shampoo. I used these prod...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello. Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query in detail and understood your concern. As far as Betamethasone dipropionate and Zinc sulphate lotion is concerned, it is mainly given for dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis and hair fall due to it. It has no effect on androgenetic hair loss. Si...  Read Full

Alopecia - Hair loss Treatment Through Homeopathy

Article Overview: Hair fall problems are at a rise, and even young adults are complaining about it. This article provides homeopathic treatment options for hair fall. Read Article

Dr. Sheetal Kamble
Homeopathic Physician

Nowadays, hair fall problem is gradually increasing. Many young adults have been complaining about hair loss issues. Some of them complain about genetic or hereditary kind of hair loss, while some of them complain hair fall after the use of certain medications or due to some external factors like ch...  Read Article