Q. I have obstructive jaundice with high serum bilirubin and yellowness. Why?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Obstructive jaundice has been detected. ERCP was done. Serum bilirubin still very high. MRCP report says everything is alright but neither serum bilirubin nor yellowness has got less.

#

I have gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns. In obstructive jaundice, there is an accumulation of conjugated bilirubin in the body due to obstruction at different levels in the hepatobiliary system which causes yellowish discoloration. ERCP helps in clearing the biliary system. Sometimes, only the biliary sludge will be found in ERCP. Bilirubin takes some time to get completely cleared from the body. Repeat your liver function test after a week. If it is still high, other causes should be ruled out. You can try ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) which comes with the name tablet Udiliv 300 mg once daily for two weeks as it helps in clearing bilirubin.

|