Q. What is the recommended diet for jaundice?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2020

I have been suffering from jaundice for the past three months. I am feeling fatigued. I have been drinking about 150 mL whisky every day for the past 9 years. But, I did not drink anything in the last three months. I tested for bilirubin, serum, hemoglobin. My liver shrank in size and the spleen is enlarged. My bilirubin 4.20, albumin 2.81, AST 49, ALT 12 and hemoglobin 9.30. Both hepatitis B and C are non-reactive. Kidney and pancreas are normal in size. The doctor suggested for endoscopy. Please suggest the diet and precautions. Is the liver condition reversible?

#

• You might be suffering from liver cirrhosis (due to alcoholism) with portal hypertension (enlarged spleen).
  • According to your history, you must be under the category of first stage cirrhosis.
  • The diet includes high protein, low salt and low fat diet. Fluid intake daily maximum up to 1500 mL, unless you have any history of fluid collection in the abdomen or you are taking any medications to form more urine.
  • Precautions include regular LFT (liver function tests) and endoscopy.
  • In case of cirrhosis, if you take all the supportive medications to prevent further damage, then it is irreversible. 

Alcoholism.

LFT and upper GI endoscopy.

Alcohol induced chronic liver disease with portal hypertension.

Continue medical treatment as suggested by doctor.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|