Q. I am worried about the development of my lower jaw. Please help.

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

• I have a question about the normal development of facial structure of a male going through puberty.
  • I am 17 years old, my height is 5'7" and I weigh 119 pounds. My diet is normal.
  • I am very frail in stature but, that is not what I am worried about.
  • I am worried about the development of my lower jaw.
  • It seems extremely small for my face and to me it seems like a problem.
  • That is not only a very unattractive feature, but also seems unhealthy in a way.
  • I had braces for a year and a half but, that did nothing.
  • I am not sure if it is genetic or if it is a disease but, my jaw seems to be to small for the structure of my face.
  • I am in deep need of help to further understand why is this happening as I grow and I was wondering if I could do anything to fix it without surgery.
  • I feel like it is a problem and it is a flaw and I have been wondering this question for quite a while.

The sources I read lack information and contain uncertainties. Please explain.

#

• Your lower jaw (mandible) might be small due to various reasons.
  • Sometimes, genetic inheritance also can be a reason.
  • By your description it seems you have deficient mandible
  • In childhood, use of headgear (an extraoral orthodontic appliance) would have done you loads of good.
  • Deficient mandible usually can only be corrected by surgery at your age.
  • Surgery can be done aesthetically without any extra oral scars.
  • Post some photos of the facial profile, for a better treatment plan.

Consult a dentist online for further investigations and follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|