Q. Is my jaw pain after a root canal because I opened my mouth widely?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

I went to a dentist four days ago to check my lower second molar. She gave two cartridges of anesthesia, cleaned the pulp, and put a temporary filling. After one day of the visit, I felt pain in my jaw, and I took Ibuprofen. I wanted to know, is this because I wide opened my mouth, or is there another cause?

Kindly help.

#

I went through your query, and I am very sorry for the issue.

Since you had cavities, the dentist went for root canal treatment using local anesthesia. Once the anesthesia wears off, you feel the pain. The pain is normal. It is not due to long chair side time. The pain will subside in the next appointment, or if the procedure were single sitting, the pain and discomfort would ease within a week or so. I would suggest gargling in warm saline two to three times a day.

If possible, kindly upload an image of the tooth.

Have a good day.

Thanks.

|