I have jaw pain while clenching my jaw together and opening my mouth wide. It has pained only on the left side where my two jaw bones meet in the back of the mouth or jaw. I took Advil and the pain has reduced. May I know the reason for this? Please explain.
Welcome to icliniq.com.
Stressful times may lead to bruxism.Investigations to be done:
Palpation of tender muscles, x-ray of that region and physical evaluation by a dentist to check for any swelling or click with opening or closing or any associated malocclusion.Differential diagnosis:
1. Wisdom tooth eruption.
2. Caries tooth with or without abscess.
Myofascial pain dysfunction syndrome.Treatment plan:
1. Take soft food for four weeks.
2. A mild muscle relaxant with an analgesic as suggested by your dentist.
3. Give warm compression to the affected joint area using a hot towel or water bag.
4. Can opt for physiotherapy exercises, if pain does not subside in the next 15 days.
5. If stress is the cause, then consult a psychotherapist for stress reduction by pharmacological or therapeutic measures.
1. Eliminate stress by following yoga or meditation.
2. Ask family members to check if you are grinding your teeth during the night and then consult your dentist to get a night guard to prevent harmful effects of grinding.
For further information consult a dentist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist
Was this answer helpful?|
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old woman. I am suffering from a radiating pain that spreads from back to the lower half of the body. I have this issue since a year. It aggravates when I ride bike. Occasionally, the pain may also radiate upward. If I keep hard item then I get some relief. I am takin... Read Full »
Ask your health query to a doctor online?Ask a Dentist Now