Q. What can be the reason for my jaw pain?

Answered by
Dr. Prerna Jain
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

I have jaw pain while clenching my jaw together and opening my mouth wide. It has pained only on the left side where my two jaw bones meet in the back of the mouth or jaw. I took Advil and the pain has reduced. May I know the reason for this? Please explain.



Welcome to

  • The pain you are experiencing may be because of soreness of your masticatory muscles, the muscles used during eating and chewing.
  • Consult your dentist for a physical evaluation to eliminate malocclusion (imperfect positioning of tooth), tooth caries or abscess in the mouth.
  • The pain could be due to repeated clenching of your jaws or grinding of the teeth during sleep called as bruxism.
  • It may also be due to any associated tooth problems that can be visualized clinically or with x-rays.
  • I suggest you muscle relaxants and analgesics to control muscle tenderness and pain.

The Probable causes:

Stressful times may lead to bruxism.

Investigations to be done:

Palpation of tender muscles, x-ray of that region and physical evaluation by a dentist to check for any swelling or click with opening or closing or any associated malocclusion.

Differential diagnosis:

1. Wisdom tooth eruption.
2. Caries tooth with or without abscess.

Probable diagnosis:

Myofascial pain dysfunction syndrome.

Treatment plan:

1. Take soft food for four weeks.
2. A mild muscle relaxant with an analgesic as suggested by your dentist.
3. Give warm compression to the affected joint area using a hot towel or water bag.
4. Can opt for physiotherapy exercises, if pain does not subside in the next 15 days.
5. If stress is the cause, then consult a psychotherapist for stress reduction by pharmacological or therapeutic measures.

Preventive measures:

1. Eliminate stress by following yoga or meditation.
2. Ask family members to check if you are grinding your teeth during the night and then consult your dentist to get a night guard to prevent harmful effects of grinding.

Regarding follow up:

For further information consult a dentist online.--->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have jaw pain, congested ear, and sore throat post dental filling. What should I do now?

.. understand the fear you have not to go to the dentist but please do not risk your health because of the fear of coronavirus. There are precautions to that and the dentist will also be taking precautions as the state has already issued guidelines f...   Read full

I have jaw pain because of an impacted wisdom tooth. What should I do?

I had a root canal treatment done ... The doctor said root canal treatment ...   Read full

I have an abscessed tooth with swollen face. Is it a matter of concern?

Hello doctor, I have an abscessed tooth and have been on antibiotics for three days ... I have gone through your question and I can understand your concern about your toothache and facial swelling ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.