Q. My mother is having tremendous pain in her joints. Can you suggest medicines and exercises?

Dr. Peter Grutas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 10, 2021

My mother underwent a hysterectomy surgery before few months. Now she is having tremendous pain in her joints. She is unable to walk without proper support. She has more pain in her knee, ankle, and finger joints. What can I do? Please suggest medicine and exercise for having relief from pain.

#

There are many causes for having joint pain. The causes are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. I suggest you take X-rays of her both knees and hands. She needs to do ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C-reactive protein), anti-CCP (anti-citrullinated peptides), SSPT (alanine transaminase), SGOT (aspartate transaminase), BUN (blood urea nitrogen), creatinine, and RF (rheumatoid factor). In the meantime, suggest your mother to take Paracetamol 650 mg three times a day and Celecoxib 200 mg one tablet twice a day for pain. She can apply Diclofenac gel on the affected area and do a warm compress for having relief from pain. For exercise, she needs to undergo a range of motion exercise within the pain-free range and isometric exercise. You can consult a physiotherapist for further guidance.

|