Q. My mother is having tremendous pain in her joints. Can you suggest medicines and exercises?

Dr. Peter Grutas

My mother went through a hysterectomy surgery few months ago.Now she is having tremendous pain in her joints.She can’t sit without taking support.She feels more pain in her knee, ankle, finger-joints.What should we do sir/mam? Can you prescribe medicine and few exercises that can relief her pain?

Thank you!

Dr. Peter Grutas

# Hi! Thank you for reaching out

I'm sorry she's having these symptoms. There are many causes of joint pain such as osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. I would recommend that she undergo X-ray of both knees and hands and check her ESR, CRP, Anti-CCP, SGPT/SGOT, BUN, Crea and RF as well. In the meantime, I recommend she takes Paracetamol 650 mg/tab, 1 tab 3x a day and Celecoxib 200 mg/tab, 1 tab twice a day for breakthrough pain. You may also apply diclofenac gel on the affected area and warm compress as well for pain relief. As for the exercises, I recommend she undergo range of motion exercises within pain free range and isometric exercises in the meantime. I recommend that you speak to a physical therapist for you to be guided accordingly. I hope these helps. Is there anything else I can help you with?

| 

I have pain in my knee. Is it because of osteoarthritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in the right knee for two months. While using a staircase, it used to pain initially whenever I starting walking or running. The pain is exactly on the front side of the knee and just below the left side of the kneecap. I started jogging a year back and continued for six m...  Read Full »

What is the frequency of consultation in the treatment for rheumatoid arthritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have rheumatoid arthritis. There is a long waiting list to see a rheumatologist in my place. I am thinking of seeing a private doctor but I have limited funds. How often would I need to see a rheumatologist? I cannot afford it every week or maybe every few months. How often do you t...  Read Full »

How to help my wife who is having high ESR, RA factor, and swollen fingers?

Query: Hello doctor, I want a good rheumatologist for my wife who has been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. She has got RA factor 150 and no other problem in blood reports. Anti CCP is negative. She has swollen fingers both in hands and legs. She is currently on Shellcal 500 and D jont capsules.  Read Full »