Q. My mother is suffering from joint pain for the past 20 years. What to do?

Dr. Chintan

My mother is 57 years old, and suffering from joint pain for the last 20 years and still not able to get rid off it. We just got her full body checkup done. Please help.

Dr. Chintan

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

I understand you told me about joint pain in general. It will be better if you let me know which joints are affected and how severe it is? You can send me the reports as well.

| 

She has intermittent pain in shoulders, knees, ankles, wrists, elbows, and finger joints. Pain is a bit severe like arthritis. Doctor sometimes say it is arthritis, and some says it is due to unbalanced uric acid. But we did not find a permanent solution to this.

Please find the attached reports.

Dr. Chintan

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

Anti-CCP (anti-cyclic citrullinated protein) levels are high and she has high TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) levels, and some other changes in blood reports. Anti-CCP suggests rheumatoid arthritis and TSH suggests hypothyroidism. With high anti-CCP, there is a pain in multiple joints with pain in hand and fingers more early in the morning and with stiffness. Pain in back and other joints. Pain is more in winter months. This is a type of inflammatory arthritis which is called rheumatoid arthritis.

With high TSH levels, she is at risk of hypothyroidism and she has lethargy, fatigue, weight gain in the last few years, and other discomforts. It is advisable to start medication for both conditions to control the pain and symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Initial medications for rheumatoid arthritis are:

1. Tablet Alovac SP (Aceclofenac, Paracetamol, and Serratiopeptidase) twice a day for five days.

2. Tablet Pantodac D (Pantoprazole and Domperidone) twice a day for five days.

3. Tablet HCQS (Hydroxychloroquine sulfate) 400mg twice a day for 10 days.

For Hypothyroidism you need to give her tablet Thyroxin 50 mcg once every morning for 15 days. These conditions require medications. Follow up with me in one week to let me know if medications have helped her or it is aggravated.

| 
Thanks for the prescription Doc. She started medicines from last night and honestly not much releif though we are not expecting miracel but i am writing to seek your help for something instant pain relief if it does not have and adverse effect.

Also since she is under treatment for 20 long years i see that new medicines are a bit help for her and then after some time seems like her disease get immune to the drug and overpower it and then we get to change doctor as honestly doctor just keep saying to use the same medicine for years even though we see her crying in pain.

I know things will take time if they need to but if you think there is something immediate solution to it with keep a long time treatment. We are up for it.

Dr. Chintan

Orthopedics And Traumatology
# For less side effects and pain effect you can give her -
Tab. Tramadol twice a day for 5 days

This is a chronic condition and it takes time to get cure. there is no absolute cure if it's Rheumatoid Arthritis as I suspect. there are days of severe pain and then there are days of relief.

You need to take Tab HCQ for long duration if it helps.. rest are short term.

I hope she gets better.
you can let me know in few days about her improvement.

| 

Why do I have pain above right hip?

Query: Dear doctor, I am having pain above my right hip. It feels a little swollen and a little pain in my lower back above the right hip. I can feel the pain more when taking a breath. My lower back feels like it is burning. Give me any advice.  Read Full »

I get joint pains, 3 to 4 times a month. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from joint pains from last two years. I get pain in fingers, palms, knee joints, heels, and soles. I consulted doctors few times, and they tell me to take Colchicine, Dolo, Myotop, and Nucoxia, whenever I get pain. But these days, I am getting the pain very frequently, lik...  Read Full »

Do Not Ignore Arthritis Symptoms!!

Article Overview: This article stresses upon the fact that, when signs of arthritis appear, one should approach a doctor as early as possible for appropriate treatment. Read Article

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Inflammatory arthritis is a common problem in females between the age group 20-50 years. It is characterized by swelling of the joints, early morning stiffness and pain which is constant and little relieved by work and use of painkillers. It is an autoimmune condition, i.e, body's immune system st...  Read Article

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now