Q. Will removal of kidney stone improve GFR?

Answered by Dr. Krishna Somani and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Kidney Stones or Chronic Kidney Disease? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Will removal of kidney stone improve GFR?

I am a 26 year old female. I have had a kidney stone in my right kidney for around eight months and now it is relatively large 22 mm. I have attached my report for your reference. I am suffering from recurrent kidney infections in the past couple years and had a stone in my left kidney when I was 15. I have attached my latest blood, urine and CT reports. I am concerned that I have CKD stage 1 from the GFR I calculated using the parameters in these reports. Could you please advise me on this? In general, does GFR improve after a stone is removed through lithotripsy or PCNL? I am scheduled for a lithotripsy in a week. Any information regarding if you think I have CKD and what prognosis will be very helpful?