Q. I had a knee injury during a sports competition. Please help me treat it.

Dr. Lokesh
Published on May 15, 2017

I am an 18 year old male. My left shoulder has been having a tingling sensation, which starts when I use the laptop for typing or playing games. I have been having this symptom for more than half a year, this tingling sensation starts when I am just sitting down. It does not hurt, but it is very annoying especially when I am doing my assignments. I had a knee injury when I fell on my right knee during a sports competition. I have not found the reason and solution to the pain but have tried physiotherapy. Currently, my knee aches when the activity is too intense or while doing intense workouts.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

• This tingling pain over the shoulder can be due to the cervical spine nerve irritation or nowadays it is a new symptom affecting many young people using electrical gadgets.
  1. Ice is useful for the control of pain and swelling. It can be applied to the knee for 15 to 20 minutes as often as every two to four hours. The swollen knee should be elevated above the level of the heart while icing.
  2. Activities that cause pain should be avoided temporarily.
  3. If the knee is swollen or sore, the following positions and activities should be avoided until knee pain and swelling resolve. Squatting, kneeling, twisting, pivoting, jogging, aerobics, dancing, and playing sports.

I suggest you try taking the following medicines. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.

1. Tablet Pregabalin 75 mg, once daily at night before food for 10 days.
  2. Tablet Etoricoxib 60 mg, twice daily after food for 10 days.
  3. Tablet Rabeprazole 20 mg, twice daily before food for 10 days.
  4. Tablet Shelcal (Calcium carbonate) 500 mg, once in the morning for 30 days.
  5. Tablet Vitamin D (60K), once daily for 10 days, then once a month for 11 months.

Take these tablets only if you are not allergic to them. Do not take these tablets if you are a known case of bronchial asthma. Kindly give more history about the knee pain.

Regards. This professional advice provided by me stands subject to the actual examination of report or image and is based entirely on inputs provided to me. It should be correlated with clinical findings.

Revert with more information to a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

Can vitamin D3 deficiency cause pain in different parts of my body?

Query: Hi, I am a 41 year old male weighing 79 kg. I have vitamin D3 deficiency for the past two years and for which I had Vitamin D3 tablets for three months. Since one year I have pain in my arms, fingers and many parts of the body. Please go through my attached test reports and advice some treatme...  Read Full >>

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.  After going through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your Vitamin D level is very low, and lipid profile is minimally deranged. I suggest you try taking the following medicines. Consult with your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her ...  Read Full

Is my mother's leg pain sciatica or something else?

Query: Hello doctor, My 49 year old mother has a severe (sciatica-like) leg pain. There is also pain below the knee and at the back of the leg. The pain is an extreme burning sensation kind of pain. It sometimes moves to the hips. The pain increases when she sits or tries to walk. She is taking a pain ki...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A sciatica-like pain can respond to physiotherapy and rehabilitative exercises. I suggest she try tablet Lyrica (Pregabalin) 75 mg at night. It is a little expensive one, but a good medicine. The other option is to take tablet Pregaba-M (a combination of Pregabalin and...  Read Full

When can I start walking without any support after a PCL surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, Five weeks before my PCL surgery was done using a screw which fixed my left knee PCL with the leg down bone patella. After four weeks, my doctor had recommended me to start walking with a well-weight and try to bend my leg to remove the freeze. After five weeks, my doctor has suggested m...  Read Full >>

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You had a PCL (posterior cruciate ligament) injury five weeks back which was managed by a screw fixation. I have seen both your pre-operative MRI scan and a post-operative X-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In my opinion, you can continue with th...  Read Full

Ask a Rheumatologist Now