Q. I have pain on both knees with heaviness and spasm. Please help.

Dr. Tejash Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 02, 2020

I am a 49-year-old female. I am a diabetic for the past six years. Nowadays, I have pain on both knees with heaviness and cramps that remains throughout the day. As a result, I am not able to walk properly. I consulted doctors and they advised me to take Calcium. In spite of taking the tablets there is no improvement. Now I am taking Glyciphage 500 SR twice daily for diabetes. Recently, I was diagnosed with fatty liver grade-I. Now my current concern is about my legs. Please help.

Dr. Tejash Patel

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

According to your complaints, there may be chances of nerve root compression, which causes pain in legs. Many times nerve that supplies legs are coming out of the spinal cord, and the function of these nerve roots are hampered due to compression at spinal cord level. So, my suggestion is to do MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of LS spine with the screening of the whole spine. So, we can check the status of the level and severity of the nerve root compression and diameter of the nerve root foramen.

Lumbar canal stenosis or prolapse disc under investigation.

Hot fomentation. Diclofenac gel or spray for local application two times per day. Tablet Naproxen twice daily for five days, after meals, tablet Calcium 500 mg once daily after meals, capsule Omeprazole 20 mg twice daily before meals for five days.

Avoid weight lifting. Avoid bending. Avoid long travelling.

Follow up with MRI report.

|