Q. I have severe pain in my right knee with stiffness. Please suggest a solution.

Dr. Tejash Patel

I am a 56-year-old male and I do not have any other medical conditions. My right knee is very painful. I have had pain in my knees for a while but it has been fine to live with. But recently, the pain in my right knee is starting to affect my everyday life. There is no swelling or redness and it was not caused by an injury or accident. I have been using over the counter painkillers to help but they do not always work. Now the pain is at its worse. I can straighten my knee but I cannot bend it fully. It feels very stiff when I try to do so. I played football and worked as an industrial painter when I was young which ment a lot of kneeling. Please help.

#

Nice explanation regarding your condition. From your history, it looks like you are suffering from degenerative osteoarthritis. I suggest you to do an x-ray to know the stage of osteoarthritis and decide its mode of management and treatment.

Work profile, and age.

Digital x-ray of the knee joint in standing anteroposterior view and lateral view.

Until you do your x-ray, start hot fomentation. Take tablet Piroxicam 20 mg twice daily after meals for five days, tablet Calcium 500 mg twice daily after meals for five days, and Diclofenac gel or spray local application two times a day. Other treatment and physiotherapy advise will be advised after x-ray reports.

Avoid squating, cross leg sitting, stepping, any activity wich requires knee bending more than 80 degree.

Five days or after x-ray reports.

|