Q. I have severe pain in my right knee with stiffness. Please suggest a solution.

Dr. Tejash Patel

I am a 56-year-old male and I do not have any other medical conditions. My right knee is very painful. I have had pain in my knees for a while but it has been fine to live with. But recently, the pain in my right knee is starting to affect my everyday life. There is no swelling or redness and it was not caused by an injury or accident. I have been using over the counter painkillers to help but they do not always work. Now the pain is at its worse. I can straighten my knee but I cannot bend it fully. It feels very stiff when I try to do so. I played football and worked as an industrial painter when I was young which ment a lot of kneeling. Please help.

#

Nice explanation regarding your condition. From your history, it looks like you are suffering from degenerative osteoarthritis. I suggest you to do an x-ray to know the stage of osteoarthritis and decide its mode of management and treatment.

Work profile, and age.

Digital x-ray of the knee joint in standing anteroposterior view and lateral view.

Until you do your x-ray, start hot fomentation. Take tablet Piroxicam 20 mg twice daily after meals for five days, tablet Calcium 500 mg twice daily after meals for five days, and Diclofenac gel or spray local application two times a day. Other treatment and physiotherapy advise will be advised after x-ray reports.

Avoid squating, cross leg sitting, stepping, any activity wich requires knee bending more than 80 degree.

Five days or after x-ray reports.

| 

Why am I getting knee pain even with simple activity?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 27 year old male. My weight is 85 kg and height is 179 cm. About 2 years ago, I participated in a half marathon. On that day, I started feeling pain in both knees above the patella. I think in quadriceps tendon. I followed RICE and the pain went off. But, after that, whenever I do s...  Read Full »

Knee Pain in Old Age - Osteoarthritis

Article Overview: Knee pain is the most common joint problem seen in older adults. Osteoarthritis is the leading cause of this. Learn more about this condition here. Read Article

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Osteoarthritis (OA) is a chronic joint disorder in which there is progressive softening and disintegration of articular cartilage accompanied by new growth of bone at the joint margins and capsular fibrosis. Osteoarthritis may be asymmetrically or symmetrically distributed and often localized to onl...  Read Article

Easy Exercises for Knee Osteoarthritis (OA)

Article Overview: This article talks briefly about knee osteoarthritis and stresses on how you can benefit from special physiotherapy exercises for the knee. Read Article

Dr. Ankita Sharma
Physiotherapist

Osteoarthritis is a form of arthritis that features the breakdown and eventually, loss of the cartilage of one or more joints. Osteoarthritis occurs more frequently as we age, the common age group of onset being 40 to 50 years. Osteoarthritis is referred to as degenerative joint diseases (DJD). Oste...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now