Q. My dad was diagnosed with osteoarthritis. Will his knee pain reduce without surgery?

Dr. Lokesh
Published on May 17, 2017

My 60 years old dad has knee pain from the past 1 to 2 years. After taking many x-rays, the doctor diagnosed him with osteoarthritis. The doctor suggested going for knee replacement. We would like to know, can the pain reduce without surgery?

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

I have seen the x-rays (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The knee shows osteoarthritisSurgery is a very good option, that is a total knee replacement.
  • Nowadays, good implants are available, which lasts up to 30 years in vivo studies. You should ask your doctor about the implant, as his age is 60 so it will last longer.
  • So, if you are tired of having medicines and the pain does not seem to subside or recur, then total knee replacement is the best option, go ahead with it. I am also a joint replacement surgeon.

This professional advice provided by me stands subject to the actual examination of report or image and is based entirely on inputs provided to me. It should be correlated with clinical findings.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Osteoarthritis of Knee

Article Overview: This is a patient information article on wear and tear in knee joint. It gives information regarding understanding of osteoarthritis of knee its causes, prevention and methods of treatment available. Read Article

Dr. Mohan Krishna

Osteoarthritis can affect any joint in the body. It is like wear and tear which develops over many years. It is common in people over 50 years of age, particularly in women. Both knees need not to be affected at the same time. The cartilage gradually roughens and becomes thin exposing the underlyin...  Read Article

I have pain in my knee. Is it because of osteoarthritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in the right knee for two months. While using a staircase, it used to pain initially whenever I starting walking or running. The pain is exactly on the front side of the knee and just below the left side of the kneecap. I started jogging a year back and continued for six m...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now