Q. My kneecap hurts a lot while jogging. I am just 26 years old. Please advice.

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 22, 2015 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2022

I am 26 years old, and I weigh 96 Kg. My kneecap hurts a lot while jogging or doing any cardio exercises. For one year, I have been having this problem. My knee joint trembles and often I have a problem walking. Please advice.

#

You are very young and only 26 years old. Sometimes you can have such kind of pain in the knee at young age. If there is no history of any injury, swelling, etc., then there is no need to worry. My advice to you will be:

1. Intensive physical therapy of knee under the supervision of a qualified physiotherapist initially and then you can continue that at home.
  2. A short course of anti-inflammatory medication as per your body's suitability.
  3. Please get your calcium and vitamin D levels checked and let me know, if they are less then we will have to do adequate supplementation.
  4. Please modify and stop all activities which increase pain in the affected site, till it completely gets resolved.
  5. Ice packs can be used for local application 3-4 times in a day.

If the condition does not improve in 2 to 3 weeks time, you may have to get certain tests done for your evaluation.

|