Q. Painkillers caused kidney problem, please suggest oil or ointment for knee pain.

Answered by
Dr. Lokesh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 26, 2020

Hi doctor,

This query is for my aunt who is 60 years old. She has knee pain (both) for more than 15 years. Initially, she used to get swelling around the knee and pain. She keeps taking injection and painkillers for pain for the last 15 years. Recently, she was ill for around three months with a bacterial infection in her legs. As she was under treatment for that infection, her pain got subsided for some time due to pain killers and other antibiotic effects. Now, again she is getting pain. She also has some kidney issue and her current creatinine is 1.5. But it was high six months ago.

She was prepared for knee replacement surgery and it was canceled as her husband got a stroke a day before surgery. While going through the tests before surgery, we got to know that her kidney is under trouble. Her creatinine was so high at that time. As I am far from her I could not present any of the reports. Now also she was advised to stay away from pain killers and other medicines to prevent further kidney problems. Kindly suggest some ointment or medicinal oil to apply for knee pain.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery


Welcome to icliniq.com.

You need to take the following tablets:

Tablet Tramadol 50 mg 1-0-1 for 10 days after food, Rabeprazole 20 mg 1-0-0 for 10 days before food, Shelcal (calcium) 500 mg 1-0-0 for 30 days before food, Wintogeno cream (Ayurveda formulation) which can be purchased from eBay can be used by her twice daily.

Take these tablets only if you are not allergic to them. Do not take them if you are a known case of bronchial asthma.

Follow up immediately in case of any untoward reactions.


1. Activities that cause pain should be avoided temporarily.

2. If the knee is swollen or sore, squatting, kneeling, twisting and pivoting, jogging, aerobics, dancing, and playing sport should be avoided until knee pain and swelling resolve.

3. You should wear a knee cap for support to the knee joint. Wear it all day and you can remove it at night.

4. Apply ice packs twice daily for 15 minutes each.

5. You need to get your x-ray of both knee joints AP (standing) and lateral views.

Do the x-rays and upload them for accurate advice. This professional advice provided by me stands subject to the actual examination of report/image and is based entirely on inputs provided to me. It should be correlated with clinical findings.

Was this answer helpful?


Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I had a PCL surgery last month. When can I start walking again?

Query: Hello doctor, About a month ago, I underwent a posterior cruciate ligament reconstruction surgery, and the doctors fixed two screws in my body. The doctors gave me a knee brace after 15 days. When can I walk with the knee brace? When can I walk without the knee brace? Are the screws to be mandatoril...  Read Full »

I have a severe knee pain and cannot walk without limping. What it could be?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been having severe pain in my left knee for roughly three days now. It is on the inside of the knee and slightly behind the knee cap while standing and with my leg straight. When it is bent, it is on the outside of the knee too. I cannot put any weight on it, cannot walk properly...  Read Full »

I have severe migraine. What is the medication?

Query: Hello doctor, The complete background of the history of the past 10 years is attached herewith. There is a severe migraine. Right now not on any medicine. Please advise the medication.  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.