Q. Why cannot I bend my knee without having pain?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 20, 2019

I am having knee problems for a while. It feels like my knee needs to be popped but it will not. I cannot bend my knee without having pain. Could someone please tell me, why is it? And what should I do to make it feel better?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

Thanks for your query to this platform.

You are actually quite young to be having persistent knee pains.

Your knee pain could be due to certain reasons. But, common ones are chondromalacia, pain due to knee instability, inflammation, etc. If there is no history of any injury, and no signs and symptoms of inflammation or infection like swelling, skin redness or local warmth on touching, then I would like to advise you for conservative management initially in the form of.

1. Intensive physical therapy with focus on strengthening of quadriceps and stretching of other group of muscles.
  2. Gentle anti-inflammatory medications like tablet Paracetamol for 5-7 days help in such cases.
  3. Adequate Calcium and vitamin D supplementation as per requirement.
  4. Ice packs at home for 3-4 times a day. See how it goes for around 2 weeks time. If your condition does not improve, then we will have to get certain investigations done.

|