Q. Is it good to take anti-TNF agent for knee swelling?

Dr. Nupoor Acharya
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 24, 2020 and last reviewed on: Dec 31, 2020

I started to have neck pain on the left side below my left ear before a month. After nine days, I started to have pain in the left knee and I used a crepe bandage over it to get some relief. But my knee started to have swelling. I consulted a rheumatologist and he told me that I have water in it. He injected a steroid injection in my knee. When I had neck pain, I took all NSAID medicines to get relief from neck pain. Now I am taking Naproxen 500 mg and I am having pain in my right leg, ankles, and joints too for the past two to three days. I am taking Saaz as prescribed by my rheumatologist. Now I want to know the reason behind my problem. I am 17 years old. Can I take an anti-TNF agent?

#

You have these symptoms due to spondyloarthropathy. Spondyloarthropathy is a type of arthritis that involves the spine, large joints like hips, knees, and ankles. The treatment, which you are receiving, is according to the treatment protocol. You have not mentioned what was your response to the NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) you were receiving. You should continue taking NSAID if you have a maximum response. If you have an inadequate response to the treatment you are receiving, then you can take anti-TNF (tumor necrosis factor) agents. They are quite effective for spondyloarthropathy with very few side effects.

|