Q. Can you interpret my laboratory tests?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

I just wanted to ask for your diagnosis regarding my ultrasound, blood, and urine results. I have attached my results. Thank you.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com

I have seen the files you attached (attachment removed to protect the patient’s identity).

1. Hematology report: Normal RBC (red blood cell), Hb (hemoglobin), and WBC (white blood cell) count. The neutrophil count is elevated. However total WBC count is within range.

2. Urine report: All findings or parameters are normal except bilirubin (it should be negative) and the presence of bacteria in the urine. Normally, no bacteria should be seen in the urinary sediment. In your case, ‘Few’ bacteria are present in the urinalysis report. A urinalysis with positive tests for nitrites, leukocyte esterase, and bacteria suggests a urinary tract infection. Still, in your case, since only bacteria are positive and nitrites and leucocytes are negative, most probably, it is asymptomatic bacteriuria. Also, epithelial cells are many in the report. It primarily indicates a contaminated specimen, and the urinalysis should be repeated. Do you have any symptoms of lower urinary tract infections like increased frequency of micturition, burning micturition, lower abdominal pain, and low-grade fever?

3. USG (Ultrasound) whole abdomen: Report is normal except for findings of the left ovary with follicles.

I would suggest the following:

1. Drink plenty of water and adequate hydration all the time.

2. If you have any above symptoms, you might need antibiotic treatment.

3. Either repeat urinalysis examination or do urine culture and sensitivity test to know the pathogen or bacteria and susceptibility to the antibiotic to help cure the infection.

Kindly reply to the above questions to guide you further. Also, please follow up if you have any further health-related queries. Take care. Thank you.

|