Q. Which is the correct time to conceive after laparotomy?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I recently had a laparotomy due to an endometrial cyst on each of my ovaries. On my right ovary, the cyst measured at 18 cm and on my left the cyst measured at 13 cm. The surgeon was able to save my ovaries with no problem. My ovaries just needed to be stitched up after having the cyst removed. My question is, when can I try to conceive? I am 20 years old and my doctor recommended I get on the pill due to the endometriosis, but I really do want to conceive really soon. None of my reproductive organs were bothered other than my ovaries being stitched. I am currently on Junel 1.5/30.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing?

Great to know that the surgeon could save your ovaries, though the cysts were really so large.

During surgery surgeon would have removed all the visible, I mean all macroscopic endometrial deposits. But there will be microscopic deposits, not visible to the eye and they will not allow proper fertility outcome. Immediately following surgery or any such physical stress, the egg or follicular response also will be less. So, rest for ovaries for a period of 3 months will do good.

During this period of waiting, the use of hormone pills or injections like Leuprolide will allow a better follicular response. So I would advise as your doctor did. You are so young and will surely have a good follicle reserve left to use.

Hope I have clarified your query, do write back if any more queries and for your feedback. All the best.

| 

Are there any medicines available to cure multiple cysts in ovary?

Query: Hi doctor, My niece aged 14 years weighs 60 kg. Recently her monthly cycles are not proper and she is having heavy pain at times in a day in her lower area. Recently we consulted a gynecologist and recommended to go for ultrasound scan of whole abdomen. In the scan report under ovaries section it ...  Read Full »

My hCG level raised to 12 and dropped. Does it show pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, Currently trying to conceive and two months in a row my hCG levels rose to a 12 then dropped. My doctor said he has only seen this in one patient ever. I am scared I will not be able to have kids. Both months it happened. I also had positive home pregnancy tests. It is not normal for ...  Read Full »

What shall I do for heavy periods and anemia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I have had irregular and painful periods since I started my first periods in 13. I have a kid, who is 3 now. It was a normal vaginal delivery and I did have a fibroid that came out later that day. But as of lately, I have been having a very pink tinted discharge with...  Read Full »

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now