Q. Are there any medicines available to cure multiple cysts in ovary?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My niece aged 14 years weighs 60 kg. Recently her monthly cycles are not proper and she is having heavy pain at times in a day in her lower area. Recently we consulted a gynecologist and recommended to go for ultrasound scan of whole abdomen. In the scan report under ovaries section it was mentioned as RO 16 x 12 cm and LO 4.3 x 1.4 cm. Both ovaries show multiple cysts measuring 6 x 6 cm noted 10 to 15 in number in periphery with echogenic stroma. Cystic lesion noted in RO measuring 16 x 11 cm. No septa, solid or nodules detected. Please suggest me how to come out of this problem. Is there any medicine or exercise required which help us more and bring happiness in her life?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I went through your query. I am really sorry to know your niece is suffering from stomach and irregular cycles. I understand it can be a very annoying problem. By the ultrasound report that you have given here, it seems your niece has PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). It usually presents with irregular cycles and excessive weight problems. Other problems which also may be seen are acne, pimples, dark pigmentation on certain areas like neck and in between fingers, excessive hair on face, chin and other body parts, etc. To confirm her diagnosis you get a serum LH (luteinizing hormone) or FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) done. If ratio is of nearly 2:1 or greater it confirms that she has PCOS.

PCOS is a very common but complex hormonal problem. She would really need to work hard to lose weight. As weight loss itself would help her achieve normal regular menstruation. Also I suggest you get a thyroid function test done because PCOS is also many times associated with thyroid problems. For the issue of painful and irregular cycles, it would be a good idea to put her on regular low dose hormone pills for three months and watch her response. It should help her out.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

When we check with doctor, they are suggesting for operation. Please let me know if any other way instead of operation.

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• PCOS is a hormonal problem and there is no role of operation in it. This condition can be easily treated by medicines.
  • I have no idea which operation your doctor is referring to. Please do let me know which operation your doctor is referring to.
  • I would not suggest you to go for operation in such a young child.

| 

Thank you very much for your reply. Yesterday again gone for scan under impression mentioned as a cyst of size approximately 15.6 x 8 cm with mild internal separation and mild internal echoes at right adnexa. Based on this local doctors suggest to go for laparoscopy operation. What to do now? We are much worried about this.

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Based on this report, yes your doctor is advising correctly.

• In such young age any mass more than 8 cm should be removed surgically. The scan suggests that it could be a benign ovarian tumor.
  • I am sorry as this big single mass needs surgery and cannot be helped by medicines alone.
  • Your main concern should ovary preservation for future fertility. If the entire ovary is removed her future conception will be decreased.
  • Please visit a good doctor who can remove only the cyst in the ovary and leave rest of the ovary inside even if it means doing an open surgery instead of laparoscopy.

|