Q. Does my blood report indicate the reason for severe pain and inflammation of my legs?

Published on May 24, 2017

From the past few weeks, I have had severe pain and inflammation in both the legs, from my knees to the foot. I limp while walking, and have no injuries or accident. Also, I feel very lazy, weak, and sometimes feel feverish in the evenings. My concentration at work is also going down. I recently got a blood test done, and I am concerned about a few things. I need professional guidance. Can you please help me in understanding the report and to take corrective measures?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is nothing serious, no need to worry.

• The central problem associated with you is obesity. Obesity has lead to excess fat deposition in the liver, leading to mild elevation of AST (aspartate aminotransferase), ALT (alanine transaminase), and GGT (gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase).
  • This increased fat in the blood is reflected as elevated triglycerides, low HDL (high-density lipoprotein) levels, and other minor abnormalities like apolipoprotein. There is also minor abnormalities in homocysteine, which is due to low folic acid.
  • Significant problems are low folic acid levels, which has lead to increased MCV (mean corpuscular volume) and homocysteine. For this, you need to increase the daily intake of food like green leafy vegetables, fruits like oranges, beans, and cereals. I suggest taking tablet Folvite 5 mg once a day for a month.
  • Also, another thing is low vitamin D, for which I suggest taking tablet Uprise D3 60,000 units once a week after lunch for eight weeks, and once a month for the next six months. This low vitamin D and obesity have probably lead to lower limbs problem.
  • You need to get an x-ray of the knees to confirm the diagnosis and start further treatment. So, you can visit an orthopedician for the same. Till then, I suggest Diclofenac gel or spray for local application. Also, avoid sitting on the floor cross-legged.
  • I also suggest tablet Ultracet (combination of Acetaminophen and Tramadol) for pain whenever needed. And tablet Shelcal (combination of Calcium carbonate and Vitamin D3) once a day for a month.
  • So, the main thing is a healthy lifestyle and weight loss. You should have a low-calorie diet. Avoid fatty and oily food. Also get your blood pressure checked once. The majority of blood reports abnormalities are due to obesity.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For further queries consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

What is Obesity? Why People Become Over-Weight?

Article Overview: Obesity is a ‘silent epidemic’. This article tells about how to find if you have obesity and the reasons for it. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Who is Considered as An Obese Person? An Obese person is one who has too much body fat and thus has a negative effect on their health. A person is considered obese when they have a weight over 20% of their ideal body weight. On the other hand, one may consider body mass index. Body mass index, ...  Read Article

How can the TG/HDL ratio be reduced?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a complete medical checkup done today. My lipid profile reads total cholesterol 145 mg/dL, HDL 27.5 mg/dL, LDL 93.3 mg/dL, triglyceride 195 mg/dL and VLDL 39 mg/dL. Is this very concerning? Especially, I am concerned regarding the TG/HDL ratio. Please advice. My echo, ECG, and stres...  Read Full »

What vitamin deficiency causes muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, For about 10 days, I have muscle twitching in my calf, thighs and also in my eyes. I am worried about it. I got my blood test done. It showed that I have a severe vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency. My vitamin B12 was around 50 ng/L. Can these deficiencies be the cause for having muscl...  Read Full »