Q. My 12-year-old daughter has pain in legs, lower back and stomach. What could be the reason?

Answered by
Dr. Babu Lal Meena
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 16, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2019

Hello doctor,

My 12-year-old daughter is complaining of pain in her legs, lower back, and stomach. Please suggest.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Information given by you is quite deficient. Still I will try to explain you. Some of the children in this age group has this pain. It has variable etiology. Most common cause is related to anemia (deficiency of hemoglobin in blood) and deficiency of vitamin D. Rest may have pain so-called growing pain which is a non specific pain occur in the growing child without any clear etiology. So I need more information about her growth. weight and whether she had menarche (menstrual cycle) or not and about history of any weight loss and tiredness.

Stomach pain also has varied etiology, most common is due to increased acid secretion or due to worm infestation. I need information about her dietary intake and whether it is associated with vomiting episodes and what is the severity of the pain?

For pain in legs and back, I would suggest you do complete blood count including hemoglobin and to do blood level for Vitamin D and iPTH (intact parathyroid hormone), calcium, phosphate, alkaline phosphatase. If she has low hemoglobin then, we have to start on hematinics. If she is deficient in vitamin D, then we need to supplement her by the same along with adequate sun exposure.

For control of abdominal pain do stool examination for three days to look about worms in the stool. Give her Albendazole 400 mg, and if she had burning in epigastrium then stop her morning milk and give tablet Pantoprazole 20 mg BD (twice daily). Kindly do the prescribed work up, and try to provide additional information.

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full »

Understanding Low Back Pain

Article Overview: Low back pain is commonly found in young and school going individuals these days unlike it was believed as a disease of old age. So this is a small article giving a basic understanding of low back pain in the young hard working generation. Read Article

Dr. Anuj Gupta
Orthopaedician And Traumatologist

Low back pain is the second most common ailment with common cold being the first. Previously, low back pain was considered age-related, that is, mostly seen in older individuals. So, it was considered a pain due to weak muscles and weak bones. But nowadays, back pain is quite common in the young pop...  Read Article

Can vitamin deficiency cause muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, Before a week, I began having twitches and tingling in both legs from the knee down. For some time now, probably 6 months or more, I also began feeling that my legs were heavy and just general weakness all over, not really muscle weakness. I am also a gastric bypass patient and have a his...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Paediatrician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.