Q. Is pressure medicine a good option for treating the blocked blood supply to the brain?

Dr. Abhaya Kant Tewari

My mother was diagnosed with an infection in the uterus. It was removed after surgery. She also had surgery for appendicitis. Now, the doctor says that the blood supply to the brain is blocked. And they said the only option is to give pressure medicine which may help to improve the blood flow. She has been under medication for this for the past ten years.

Kindly help.

#

The MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) suggests multiple infarcts (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). There is a need to give her blood thinners, and antihypertensives are needed in addition if she has hypertension. I guess the doctors are referring to antihypertensive medicine as "pressure drugs." The brain changes may have got aggravated due to the presence of sepsis in the uterus. And I feel that the doctors are doing the correct thing.

Thanks for the reply.

My mother is comparatively better this morning. She was not able to speak. Is this the sign that she is recovering slowly? And is she out of danger or not?

Please reply to this.

#

The best sign of recovery in her condition is level of consciousness, so if she is verbalized, it is a good sign. We need to concentrate on her nutrition and electrolytes (mainly sodium) to prevent hospital-acquired infection and bedsores. The damage due to stroke will occur gradually.

Only the treating doctors can conclude whether she is out of danger.

Thanks.

|