Q. My BUN and creatinine ratio is 20. Is it high?

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I have got my normal KFT and LFT reports. My BUN is 18. Creatinine is 0.9. Both are in normal range but my BUN and creatinine ratio is 20 which is high. What does this mean? I started taking Metformin for the last 20 days for prediabetic control.

#

Normal BUN (blood urea and nitrogen) to creatinine ratio is anywhere between the range of 10:1 to 20:1. So your values are within the upper normal limits.

The causes may be anything ranging from dehydration or lowered blood supply to kidneys due to any reason like heart disease.

In this situation, I would recommend taking more and more fluids and go for another test to see the ratio after two weeks.

We would see how it responds and if there is a need to do something else.

You should also consult your local physician for the same.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Can this increase in BUN and creatinine be due to taking Metformin? Anyways I am attaching my LFT reports. Please check if there is anything seriously wrong? Lactate dehydrogenase is also 211 whereas reference range is till 190. Please help.

#

No Metformin has no effect on a BUN (blood urea nitrogen) to creatinine ratio.

LDH (lactate dehydrogenase) is an enzyme that is kind of a molecule that helps in energy production in the body.

If there is tissue damage going on anywhere in the body due to any reason like infections or local injury to tissues, it causes the release of excess amounts of LDH in blood that can be detected in laboratory tests.

Some causes can be liver, brain, kidney and heart diseases, low levels of blood or its constituents like hemoglobin, trauma to muscles in the body, cancers, bony fractures, HIV and some other diseases.

You need to consult your physician why he ordered this test. If there was something under suspicion he may proceed further if needed.

Other than these important things, there seems nothing wrong.

Your physician will discuss the same in more detail after a physical examination.

|