Q. My daughter hurt her finger and no fracture on x-ray. Should she see an orthopedist?

Answered by
Dr. Lokesh
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Mar 29, 2017

Hi doctor,

My daughter hurt her finger on her brother's kneecap two days ago. She is 11 and a gymnast. The x-ray showed there is no fracture. But still, she has lots of pain, swelling and two discolored joints in fingers. She was not given any treatment. Should she see an orthopedist?

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • Negative x-ray rules out bone injury but not ligament or capsular injury of the joints of fingers. Considering she is a gymnast, she should see an orthopedist for a perfect treatment.
  • Till then, you need to do a buddy strapping of the finger in which the affected finger is strapped with the adjacent normal finger with the help of micropore skin tape. Please remember not to do it too tightly. This will give the finger support and reduce pain and swelling.
  • I suggest you the following medicines. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicine with consent.
  1. Tablet Ibuprofen 200 mg one in the morning and the evening for five days after food.
  2. Tablet Rabeprazole 20 mg twice a day for five days before food.
  • I suggest you the above tablets only if you are not allergic to them. Do not take these tablets if you have bronchial asthma.

Probable diagnosis:

Capsular injury to the finger post trauma with negative x-rays.

Treatment plan:

Buddy strapping.

Regarding follow up:

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Was this answer helpful?


Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I have fever and body pains. Please suggest some medicines.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a constant fever from the last week, and severe body pains as well. I have undergone some tests for the same.  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.