Q. Do elevated liver readings mean liver damage?

Dr. Vivek Chail
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 06, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 11, 2019

I am 29 years old with 180 cm tall and 62 kg weight. I was diagnosed with hereditary spherocytosis before five years, and my gallbladder was removed. Recently had an ultrasound to see the liver and spleen. I would have mildly elevated liver readings. Hematologist wanted to check that these organs were fine. He thought they would be. Do elevated liver readings mean liver damage? I do not drink and eat a very healthy diet. Please help.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

Your spleen is enlarged in size (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The liver appears normal in size, and the echotexture looks normal. I would like to know which liver readings get elevated? Liver enzymes can get elevated when the hemolysis is not entirely compensated for. In severe cases, it can cause jaundice. It looks to me that still the hemolysis is being compensated by your system on most occasions and less frequently. The liver enzymes might be elevated. Please have a discussion with your hematologist regarding details of the compensatory mechanisms.

AST and ALT were elevated. From memory, they exceeded 49 u/l. I am sorry I do not have actual print out. Hemoglobin was under 95 u/l. Bloods were taken 6 weeks ago. I was concerned. Going off ultrasound and the specifications, am I considered overall to be with fine liver, kidney, pancreas and spleen? Is my spleen size concerning? Attached is what Hematologist wrote on ultrasound referral. The other attachment is for next blood work. I have been immunised for hepatitis B, I saw he had this on blood form to be tested. What does it mean if LDH is elevated? Can my blood condition raise this? Can LDH be reduced? I am just trying to gain some understanding.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

Thanks for writing in to us.

The spleen size is mildly on the higher side but not an urgent concern.

The Hematologist wants to get a general idea of liver function. The liver tests ordered will give an idea if the hereditary spherocytosis is being compensated for and not causing any stress to the liver.

The hepatitis B and C serology is to know your antibody levels and a part of liver screening. Please mention that you are immunised.

LDH levels give information on the hemolytic changes. The surgical option is splenectomy. Regarding treatment with medicines, a folic acid supplementation can control the cells from getting large and forming a megaloblastic change. This will decrease hemolysis and LDH levels.

My daughter has high SGPT. Is it due to liver damage?

Query: Hi doctor, My 2 year old daughter had an abscess on left side of her face.  We got it operated and the biopsy result found to be tuberculosis. But, 45 days of TB culture report came back negative. It was operated a year ago and she was started on TB drug. The medicines prescribed were tablet Macox...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sirisha
Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your daughter is getting all the medication required for TB (tuberculosis). The medication does have some side effects like the liver enzymes SGPT (serum glutamic-pyruvic transaminase) and SGOT (serum glutamic-oxaloacetic transaminase), which were done was raised. Slig...  Read Full

Does a cirrhosis patient require medicines to increase platelet count and Hb?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a liver cirrhosis patient. My platelet count is 72,000 and hemoglobin is 10. Everything else including protein and albumin are normal. The doctor is giving Ricovir 300, Pantosec 40, Udliv 150, Vitamin A to Z daily and Lasilactone 50 mg on alternate days. But, he is not giving any...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In liver cirrhosis, chronic fibrosis occurs and such fibrotic tissue obstructs portal blood flow and so, because of portal hypertension splenomegaly can occur. An enlarged spleen traps platelet count and so your platelet count is low. With an improvement of cirrhosi...  Read Full

Ask a Radiologist Now