Q. I have a burning feeling in the lower back. Please check my MRI.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

I have a burning feeling in the lower back, down the legs, and in the shoulders down to hands. Hips burning and near the rib cage. I have not seen the chiro for lower back for three weeks.

#

I have gone through your history and the images attached here (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The history is usually suggestive of spinal etiology but the MRI images attached here do not show any gross abnormality. Mild indentation of the spinal column is seen, which appears to be an incidental finding rather than a pathological one.

I wish to ask a few more questions about your condition and health.

• For how many days are you suffering from this condition?
  • Is it only burning pain or current-like pain sensations is also there?
  • Do you have any other chronic illness like diabetes?
  • Are you currently on any other medication for a different illness?
  • What are your dietary habits - vegetarian, non-vegetarian or vegan?
  • Is there any history of drug abuse?
  • Have you undergone any blood workup?
  • Do you have your MRI report?

Kindly follow up with your answers and feel free to discuss further.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Pain has been on and off for the last one and a half years. No drug abuse history. I have a history of anxiety and depression. I eat meat a couple of times a week - mainly drink almond milk. I do have whole milk sometimes in tea. Natural yogurt daily. No diabetes. Pain is burning, especially in the back lower area, hips and shoulders. I sit at work. It does not always help. I do daily stretching and try to keep active and get massages when I can afford. I do have managed hereditary spherocytosis blood condition which is mild. I was diagnosed at 23 years old.

#

Thank you for the detailed response. As I have mentioned in my previous answer, MRI examination is normal and the findings mentioned are not the cause of the burning pain you are experiencing.

Other causes of such pain can be:

1. Vitamin B12 deficiency.
  2. Vitamin B1 deficiency.
  3. Vitamin D deficiency,
  4. Parathormone excess, calcium deficiency.
  5. Peripheral neuropathy due to autoimmune etiology.
  6. Multiple sclerosis.

In your case, since MRI is normal, multiple sclerosis is virtually ruled out. Lab tests are recommended to rule out above mentioned possible diagnosis.

• Vitamin B12 estimation
  • Vitamin D level estimation
  • Parathormone level estimation

Kindly revert back with the results of the investigations mentioned here. Or if you can get multivitamin injectable through medical practitioner or oral supplements, response to them can also be evaluated.

Feel free to discuss further. Regards.

|