Q. I have stomach pain and loose stools since yesterday. What to do?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 11, 2021

I am female. My age is 36, and my height is 5 feet, my weight is 147 pounds. I have a stomach ache since yesterday. When I woke up, I started to feel uncomfortable in my stomach. Then I went to the bathroom. My stool was like Cerelac. Then the whole day, my stomach was aching. I could not get up. Then I had an outlet of stool three times today. It was like a faucet that was dripping. The pain now is occasional, unlike yesterday. I had taken Buscopan yesterday.

Please help me.

#

Was the pain like a spasm? Well, you may have a brief episode of acute gastroenteritis, probably secondary to eating some foods with unhygienic nature. The best way is to keep yourself hydrated with an Oral rehydration solution (ORS). Take one sachet of ORS and mix in one liter of water. And use it every time you have loose bowel. You can take a maximum amount of ORS as you want till your loose stools get better. For pain, I do not recommend you taking Buscopan (Hyoscine Butylbromide). Since you already have decreased intensity of the pain, you avoid it taking. Instead, you can use some home remedies for the pain. The common is peppermint oil. One tablespoon fulls thrice daily. It is also commercially available in the form of a suspension or as a capsule with the brand name of IB-calm.

The probable cause is acute gastroenteritis.

Let me know if you have any other concerns to ask. Have a good day.

|