Q. Can low hemoglobin cause shortness of breath?

Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Low Hemoglobin or Meditation? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am 19 years old. For the past one year, I have been experiencing body weakness. I feel tired all the time. And for the past five months, I have been experiencing fast heartbeats and shortness of breath. I mostly experience the shortness of breath in dusty and stuffy environments, but at times even in the open air. I had a spirometry test done, but the results showed no abnormality. I got a chest x-ray done and it revealed that my chest was clear. Then, I had a CBC test done and the result showed that the RDW was high 16.3, low HCT 34.0, low hemoglobin 10.8, low MCH 23.9 and low MPV 7.9. The rest of the results were normal. The doctor told me to use an inhaler, but it is not helping. I would like to know what exactly is wrong with me. Previously, I was using Ventolin inhaler. Currently, I am using Ventolin inhaler and Montiget.