Q. Why is my daughter's hemoglobin level low?

Dr. Sirisha
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My 3 years old daughter is diabetic since 1.5 years of age and she is also anemic. Sugar is not much a concern. Recently, we got her blood test done and her hemoglobin is 10 and serum ferritin is 1.71. I have given her Iron supplement for over eight months now. Since then, this is her third blood test. Hemoglobin and ferritin levels just seem to drop each time. Her current medications are Lantus 10 units in the morning, Novorapid on a sliding scale between 1.5 and 2.5 units and Fermax one fourth of a teaspoon every night.

#

• Anemia can have many causes. Iron deficiency is one of them and very common.
  • There can be other causes, which require some other investigations like peripheral smear and vitamin B12 levels. But, low ferritin points towards low iron as the cause.
  • If she ever required a blood transfusion, you should definitely get other investigations like hemoglobin electrophoresis done. I suggest her iron and other multivitamin syrup, which includes vitamin B12 and folate.
  • Hemoglobin of 10 is not very bad, but ferritin should improve. Give her diet rich in iron.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|