Q. I am reluctant towards sexual and presexual activities after menopause. Please help.

Dr. Raveendran Sr
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I am a 53-year-old working woman. My problem is I have a reluctance to the sexual or presexual activities. I have no menstruation for three years. But my husband is active in this matter. He wants to have intercourse once in two or three days. What can I do? Kindly give your opinion.

#

You need not worry. It happens after post-menopause. It is more hormonal-related. If you were always like this, it is understandable if not need to think of hormonal imbalance. Please check for TFT (thyroid function test), testosterone, and prolactin. And talk to your partner regarding your feeling and take things slow rater openly telling you are not fine with intercourse.

Also, please check for:

1) Infections can be due to urine or prostate infection (urine complete test and ultrasound pelvis to diagnose).

2) Diabetes and hypertension, make sure blood pressure and blood sugar under control. If already on medication, Please share the medication name.

3) Obesity, plan for regular exercise and yoga.

4) High cholesterol, check for lipid profile, and plan for regular exercise.

5) Chronic disease or on any chronic medication, please share the details.

6) Anxiety.

Need to do USG (ultrasonography) pelvis to rule out pelvis infection, thyroid check-up for free T3, T4, and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), lipid profile to know cholesterol level, blood pressure, and RBS (random blood sugar).

Kindly share more details regarding the above reason so that we can work on the cause and treatment.

You can use tablet Mildfil 5 mg (Tadalafil) twice a day as a temporary solution.

I hope this was helpful.

|