Q. Is surgery necessary in treating varicocele?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 35 year old male, who is suffering from infertility. I got married three years back, and we have tried to conceive ever since. Recently, I consulted a  urologist here, and he asked me to get a semen, Doppler scrotal, and thyroid tests done. I am attaching the reports. I took the scans and consulted him again. The sperm count is 1 million, and one year back it was around 9 million. My right testis volume is 10, and the left testis volume is 8. I do not have any thyroid problem, sugar, or BP issues. After seeing my reports, the doctor told me to go for varicocele operation. I would like to know if this is a major issue? Do I really need to go for this operation? Can this be cured without surgery? Please let me know your suggestions on this. Thank you.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I read your query and understand your concerns about low sperm count and bilateral varicocele.

• The drop of sperm count from 9 million to 1 million over a period of one year clearly indicates that there is something in the scrotum, which is causing a drop in the sperm count. Since the testis, epididymis, and other structures are normal with the presence of swollen veins, it is highly possible that varicocele is at least one of the cause for decreased sperm count.
  • Varicocele has only two modes of treatment. The one is leaving it as it is and the other is surgical removal. There is an overgrowth of venous supply around testis, which causes increased temperature and loss of vital sperms.
  • With surgery, there is a good chance of recovery, but it has been noted that varicocele appears again after few months or years.

I hope this answers you. Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions. Thanks and regards.

For more information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

|