Q. What is your opinion about the slightly low WBC count?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Published on Dec 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2019

I had a blood test a few weeks ago. Everything came back within normal range except my white blood cell count. It was slightly low (3.7) and the normal range at my laboratory is 3.8 to 10.8. The test was done because I had mild hypertension and was put on Amlodipine. I have since gone off the medication. The BP is under control through a vegan diet and exercise. I am a 46 year old female with 150 lbs weight and 5'6" height. I have no symptoms and feel very well. What is your opinion on the slightly low WBC count? If you would look over my blood work, I would appreciate it.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Based on your query and attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows:

• WBC (white blood cell) count varies with time of collection, method of collection and methods of counting.
  • If there is large variation like less than 1500, then we should worry. The value of 3700 is a very mild variation to be worried about.
  • This count will improve over time, and also, as there is no infection or inflammation at present, the body will not be responding with increasing WBC count.
  • At present, there is nothing to worry. Everything is good. Take a diet rich in proteins and vitamin B12. Nothing else necessary as all reports are good.

Protein and vitamin B12 rich diet. Repeat your blood test after a month and if the count falls less than 2000, then further evaluation is necessary.

For further information consult a hematologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Thank you very much doctor.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

• Do continue the same and concentrate on diet and exercise. Repeat the test and if abnormal, then do get back.

For further doubts consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

High Blood Pressure: Things You Need To Know!!

Article Overview: High blood pressure is a very common condition with serious consequences if left untreated. This article is aimed at providing basic knowledge about the causes, treatment, complications and prognosis of hypertension. Read Article

High Blood Pressure or Hypertension is a very common and serious condition which if untreated may lead to permanent and often fatal damage to various organs of the body including the heart, kidneys, brain and eyes. Hypertension means the pressure of the blood inside the blood vessels is higher than ...  Read Article

Is there any diet plan to reduce fat in the stomach area?

Query: Hi doctor, This is regarding fat accumulation at major fats at stomach area. Is there any method so that it could be reduced since my marriage is fixed in 15 days. Is there any diet plan?  Read Full »

My vitamin B12 is high. How can I lower it?

Query: Hi doctor, As I took master health blood test and in the result, my vitamin B12 is high. How can I lower it? I am afraid of this. Please help me.  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now