Q. Apart from UTI, what would be the reason for lower abdominal pain?

My husband is 28 years old. He has had lower abdominal pain since two months. I have marked the paining area in the attached picture. He has pain in the area just behind this in the back also. The pain is mild about 0.5 in 10 scale and sometimes 2 or 3 out of 10. There is a mild burning sensation while urinating. Previous medical history includes that he had diarrhea for about 25 days, out of which about one week was severe. He had about 85 times in a week and hospitalized. While in hospital, he had increased potassium (4.7) and was given a nebulizer for two days. On the discharge, potassium was 4.4 and they said it was normal. This happened two months ago and from the day of discharge, he has been normal. Last week, visited a urologist for UTI like symptoms. They checked urine sample and also took a blood sample. All other parameters were normal, except potassium which was 6.2. Later, it was 4.4 and doctor said some sampling error. I have attached his urine test report. Our doctor said there is no urinary tract infection.

What is causing this pain, if not UTI? We had US abdomen two months back during the diarrhea issue and it was normal. I have attached that reports too. This pain has been irritating though not disturbing his sleep. He sits for a long time in front of the computer for work and does no exercise or other physical activity. Would that be a reason? He travels a lot and has erratic sleep patterns. Though he has adequate sleep, he sleeps very late at night. Please share your opinion.

Dr. Vivekanandan G
MCH UROLOGY
Andrology, Urology

• Looking at your husband's urine routine examination report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is very clear that it is unlikely to be UTI in any form.
  • I think the groin pain could be non-specific. It may be related to your posture, nature of work, etc.
  • I would recommend a short course of analgesic and muscle relaxant for a week and see what happens.

Revert back after a week to a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

How to treat my upper back pain?
Query: Hi doctor, While sitting on a sofa, I was completely relaxed, and my body was lying unbalanced against it. Suddenly, I felt some pain that started in the upper back area. But it did not disappear even after I got up and did a lot of body straightening and stretching. It was minor. Particularly in ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like an acute muscular pain. In such situations, I recommend following these steps: A muscle relaxant like tablet Flexura D (Diclofenac and Metaxalone) twice daily for three days. Hot fomentation. Volini gel (Diclofenac) for local application. Bed rest. ...  Read Full »

I have sharp pain in my ribs when I am breathing. How can I get relieved?
Query: Hi doctor, While working out today, I was doing a shoulder press. I was doing it too fast, and at one point, I got a sharp pain in my back, near where my ribs meet my spine. Since then, I am also having very sharp pain when inhaling and exhaling, as well as when rotating my torso or neck. Should I ...  Read Full »
Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like you have muscle spasm or strain. You can use over-the-counter Motrin 600 mg (Ibuprofen) twice or thrice a day with the meal for two to three days and there are topical analgesics available for the gentle massage. It will get better within two to three days...  Read Full »

Why did I get pain after a long walk?
Query: Hello doctor, I walked for around 10 km two days back. I am not a habitual walker. I felt cramp twice in my right leg during first 3 km and after stretching it was better. Then I consumed fair amount of water. But, after 24 hours I got severe pain in calf muscles and there is slight swelling. Plea...  Read Full »
Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having fatigued muscle due to over exercise by an unaccustomed muscle. You can take muscle relaxant with anti-inflammatory and also apply some analgesic gel to the calf muscle. Heat and massage therapy will help in early resolution of symptoms. You should only...  Read Full »

How to manage back pain that started after playing Foosball?
Query: Hello doctor, I have a back pain. It just started while I was playing Foosball. The pain goes down to my left thigh, hamstring area, towards the left side of the left knee and to the ankle. I have also got twinging and numb little toe finger on my left foot. I am only applying Volini ointment ...  Read Full »
Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your concern. I would suggest you get an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) done of your low back. As your complaints are suggestive of disc involvement, I would like to rule that out. I would like to know further details like pain character and movements tha...  Read Full »

How to reduce the pain due to ankle sprain?
Query: Hi doctor,I have chronic ankle sprains in both the ankles. I have this for maybe a year now. I went to PT and have been doing exercises. But, about a week ago, my ankle began to pop. It is happening once in a while. It really hurts and I have to pause for a couple minutes for the pain to settle. Is ...  Read Full »
Dr. Mahavir Patil
Family Physician, General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hope this message finds you in good health. I have gone through your complaints and understand your concern. I generally see many cases like this in my clinic. I give them a splint, rest, analgesics, anti-inflammatory tablets and ice pack till the swelling reduces to som...  Read Full »

How do I cure my burning upper back pain between the shoulder bones?
Query: Hello doctor, I have a burning like pain on the upper back of my body between the shoulder bones. It happens almost every day after sitting for long or when I lie down for quite some time. What could this be?  Read Full »
Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The burning sensation in the upper back could be due to chronic bad posture and imbalance of the chest and back musculature strength. I recommend you to kindly check your posture and maintain it. Do some retraction exercises to help your upper back and neck. ...  Read Full »

Can scar reopening after surgery cause urinary problem in hypospadias patient?
My problem is erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Kindly help.
Is there any harm to 3 months old baby due to a mobile tower?