Login      Sign Up

Q. Apart from UTI, what would be the reason for lower abdominal pain?


Hi doctor,

My husband is 28 years old. He has had lower abdominal pain since two months. I have marked the paining area in the attached picture. He has pain in the area just behind this in the back also. The pain is mild about 0.5 in 10 scale and sometimes 2 or 3 out of 10. There is a mild burning sensation while urinating. Previous medical history includes that he had diarrhea for about 25 days, out of which about one week was severe. He had about 85 times in a week and hospitalized. While in hospital, he had increased potassium (4.7) and was given a nebulizer for two days. On the discharge, potassium was 4.4 and they said it was normal. This happened two months ago and from the day of discharge, he has been normal. Last week, visited a urologist for UTI like symptoms. They checked urine sample and also took a blood sample. All other parameters were normal, except potassium which was 6.2. Later, it was 4.4 and doctor said some sampling error. I have attached his urine test report. Our doctor said there is no urinary tract infection.

What is causing this pain, if not UTI? We had US abdomen two months back during the diarrhea issue and it was normal. I have attached that reports too. This pain has been irritating though not disturbing his sleep. He sits for a long time in front of the computer for work and does no exercise or other physical activity. Would that be a reason? He travels a lot and has erratic sleep patterns. Though he has adequate sleep, he sleeps very late at night. Please share your opinion.

Related Questions:
How do I cure my burning upper back pain between the shoulder bones?
How to treat my upper back pain?
How to manage back pain that started after playing Foosball?

Dr. Vivekanandan G
Andrology, Urology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • Looking at your husband's urine routine examination report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is very clear that it is unlikely to be UTI in any form.
  • I think the groin pain could be non-specific. It may be related to your posture, nature of work, etc.
  • I would recommend a short course of analgesic and muscle relaxant for a week and see what happens.

Revert back after a week to a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Related Questions & Answers

How to reduce the pain due to ankle sprain?
Query: Hi doctor,I have chronic ankle sprains in both the ankles. I have this for maybe a year now. I went to PT and have been doing exercises. But, about a week ago, my ankle began to pop. It is happening once in a while. It really hurts and I have to pause for a couple minutes for the pain to settle. Is ...  Read Full »
Dr. Mahavir Patil
Family Physician, General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hope this message finds you in good health. I have gone through your complaints and understand your concern. I generally see many cases like this in my clinic. I give them a splint, rest, analgesics, anti-inflammatory tablets and ice pack till the swelling reduces to som...  Read Full »
Why does my pain radiate from back to thigh?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old woman. I am suffering from a radiating pain that spreads from back to the lower half of the body. I have this issue since a year. It aggravates when I ride bike. Occasionally, the pain may also radiate upward. If I keep hard item then I get some relief. I am takin...  Read Full »
Dr. Sumit Chawla
Orthopaedician And Traumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptom profile with long duration of pain unsettled after muscle relaxant points towards disc herniation as a probable etiology. You need to visit an orthopedic surgeon for neurological examination to look for signs of neurological impairment and get an MRI sc...  Read Full »
I have sharp pain in my ribs when I am breathing. How can I get relieved?
Query: Hi doctor, While working out today, I was doing a shoulder press. I was doing it too fast, and at one point, I got a sharp pain in my back, near where my ribs meet my spine. Since then, I am also having very sharp pain when inhaling and exhaling, as well as when rotating my torso or neck. Should I ...  Read Full »
Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat
Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like you have muscle spasm or strain. You can use over-the-counter Motrin 600 mg (Ibuprofen) twice or thrice a day with the meal for two to three days and there are topical analgesics available for the gentle massage. It will get better within two to three days...  Read Full »

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Most Viewed

If I use steroid for MS, is it possible to recover fast?
Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with MS last month. I had severe dizziness before three months, and I got bed bound. The nex ...Read more »
I have prolonged backache, especially after driving. Please advise.
Hello doctor, I am having prolonged backache, especially after driving. I face pain when I stretch and I get a relief w ...Read more »
How to Deal with Stress?
Stress is our body's response to any kind of demand or threat. During stress, certain hormones and chemicals get release ...Read more »