Q. I have a painless pea sized lump in groin area. Kindly advise.

Dr. Hari Hara Sudhan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on May 17, 2019

I have a pea sized lump between my right buttock and thigh (groin area) that I just noticed a few weeks ago after accidentally shaving over it. It is not painful, but a little sore like a scrape would be. It appears to be solid in the middle and darker, but has almost an inner tube look around it that is pinkish. It does not look like it has fluid in it.

Dr. Hari Hara Sudhan

Dermatology Venereology
#

What your photo shows is a skin ulcer (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are many reasons for skin ulceration in the groin area. We have to rule out sexually transmitted diseases first of all. I would like to know if you are sexually active, whether your partner has any such problems. How about your general health? Do you have any kind of problems in your other body systems?

For the ulcer, you can apply a topical antibiotic like T-Bact cream daily thrice. It will help it heal if it is a simple bacterial infection. I would suggest you apply it for two weeks, then approach a local dermatologist for a full checkup, in case it is not responding. Get well soon.

No, I am not in a relationship and have not been sexually active in over two years. Where can I get the T-Bact cream?

Dr. Hari Hara Sudhan

Dermatology Venereology
#

If not caused by any other internal problems, your skin ulcer will heal well in two weeks, do not worry. You can get T-Bact cream from any medical shop. Get physician consent before using it. Ask for Mupirocin skin cream (generic name) if the above brand is not available.

I have no STD symptoms. Should I still get tested before I meet my wife?

Query: Hello doctor,Due to work, I have been away from my wife for more than two years. I had a few sexual encounters with sex workers here. I had unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex twice last year, protected oral sex and protected vaginal sex once last year, unprotected oral sex and protected ...  Read Full »

Is the lump on my back fat or a tumor?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a knot or lump on my upper back just in the middle and little right side of the back. It can be felt when I get a massage. Can this be dangerous? The doctor once told me seven years back that it might be fat. What test can make sure that it is not a serious kind of tumor?  Read Full »

Can you get STD if your partner has never had sex before?

Query: Hello doctor, My question is that if one has sex with a partner who has never had sex before, not using a condom, can he or she still get HIV/HPV or any STDS.  Read Full »