Q. I have a tiny lump above my hip that is painful. Kindly explain.

Dr. Rashi Verma

I am 21 years old, male, 5'9", 105 kg. When I woke up, I felt a tiny lumped mass on the back just above left hip. Only hurts when pressed hard. I am anxious. Could it be constipation?

Dr. Rashi Verma

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

There are lots of differential diagnosis for the lump.

Lipoma: It is an overgrowth of fat in an area. It is soft to touch. It is a benign condition. It is a slow-growingtumor and usually recurs if removed. No treatment is needed if small.

Sebaceaous cyst: It is cystic swelling with a collection of sebum. It is a benign condition. It can be removed by excising the cyst.

Malignant tumour: They are slow growing in the beginning but when it undergoes malignant change it grows rapidly. It is hard to touch. It needs to be biopsied to find the nature of a tumor.

Abscess: They are an infection which is quite painful to touch. It needs to be treated with antibiotics and if it fails, the pus needs to be drained out.

If the swelling is small, does not cause any discomfort, it can be left like that with regular follow up. If there is a sudden change in colour, consistency or size it needs to be looked upon by a doctor who can evaluate it further.

|