Q. I have noted a lump at the top of my uvula. What could it be?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Published on Jan 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 28, 2019

I have a small, flesh-colored and raised lump at the top of my uvula. There is another smaller one next to it. It is 2 to 3 mm in size. I look as if it is soft and there is no issue with swallowing. It is not painful and I have been aware of it for more than a month. I am a 19 year old male.

#

I have read through your complaint and the relevant details.

• One question from my side is, have you noted if the lump is growing bigger in size? If yes, then it is a serious issue to be noted. Immediately consult your nearby oral medicine specialist or oral pathologist for a biopsy.
  • If no, then it could be an abscess or cyst (pus-filled swelling) for which again a biopsy is required.
  • Any swellings or ulcers inside the mouth, which stays for long, cannot be expected to resolve by itself. Do not ignore because it is painless. Hence, I advise you to go ahead with a biopsy and accordingly it may be managed.

Fine needle aspiration or incisional biopsy.

For further information consult a dentist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Can tooth abscess spread throughout the body?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old female. I have an abscess in my tooth for over a year now. I am getting it infected for the second time now. The previous infection was before six months. It is present at the bottom of one of my lower molars. It hurts me a lot. How long will it take to spread throughou...  Read Full »

Does biopsy on a pregnant woman result in any complication?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old and 20 weeks pregnant. I got an abnormal pap result with ASC-H. I had another pap two years ago and it was normal. My doctor wants to do a colposcopy and biopsy. However, I read that it does result in complication when biopsy is performed on a pregnant woman. Can I do bi...  Read Full »

What is the small painless lump in the breast?

Query: Hello doctor, There is a small lump in the breast. I have no pain or any other type of side effects also. But, as per the doctor's advise, I have gone for FNAC test. Please explain what is the problem.  Read Full »