Q. What causes a lump at the back of throat?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda
Published on Oct 11, 2019

I have a lump at the back of my throat (oropharynx). When I look inside my mouth, I can see it. The veins around it are enlarged and well visible. I asked my doctor what it is, and she told me it is an enlarged lymph node. I do not fully trust it, since I cannot find any lymph nodes in literature at the exact spot my lump is at. It is directly in the middle, and I thought the lymph nodes of the mouth were located on the sides of the head or throat. I would say it is not more than 1 inch in size, and it has no yellow or black spots.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Mostly it is an inflammation of the lymphoid adenoid tissue as it can extend downwards from the nasopharynx. Is it painful or tender to food?

It is not painful, I do not feel it at all. The lump has been present for longer than six months right now.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Great. I advice you to use mouth wash twice daily for two weeks, stop smoking and alcohol. You just need to follow up the lump every four months. You have to be worried just in case of rapid excessive growth of the mass, change in its color, development of an ulcer in it. Do not panic and examine it daily. Forget it and just visit a clinic every four months or capture a photo of it every four months and let me follow it up with you and save the recent photo for the comparison.

I have protected sex and after that I get inflammation in urinary tract. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have protected sex with stranger and after that I get inflammation in urinary tract. Should I get worried about it?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have symptoms of inflammation of urinary tract than you have to rule out urinary tract infection. For that, I suggest you investigate with urine routine microscopic examination report and urine culture for primary work-up. You can revert back with reports once...  Read Full

I have inflammation and small red bumps on the penis after sex and masturbation. Is this balanitis?

Query: Hello doctor,I have inflammation of the penis head and small red bumps on the outer edge of the penis after sex and masturbation. The bumps occur and disappear after a few days. I have been using antifungal cream for about a month and also took antibiotics. It looks like it has vanished but occurs b...  Read Full >>

Dr. Dilip Meena
Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern, but there are no attached photographs in your message. I need to see the picture of the affected area to make an appropriate diagnosis and to suggest the proper treatment. Kindly send the images.  Read Full

Can the lump under my male breast be cancerous?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24-year-old male. My complaint is that I have a breast lump in my right breast lower outer quadrant. I noticed it three days ago. I have pain at that site. I also noticed redness in the surrounding areas. I have poor beard growth and chest hair so I suspect that it could be gyn...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most probably it is gynecomastia as it is common in young age and may cause pain, Although, breast cancer is rare in males, it is more aggressive with rapid growth and spread. I suggest that you take painkillers and send me a photo of the red lump Also if you have...  Read Full