Q. What can cause lymph node enlargement in the neck?

Answered by Dr. Anshuman Srivastava and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.


Do you have a question on Lymph Node Enlargement or Tuberculosis? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Hi doctor,

I would like to seek your help on higher lymphocyte count. I am taking antibiotics after my doctor noticed enlarged lymph nodes on my neck and edge of my ears. I am under medication to check whether this infection is due to some throat issues or not. But, my ESR count remains same after a week. My platelet count is settled in comparison to my earlier reports. I have attached my reports for your reference. Please help.

Related Questions:
My results are normal except lymphocytes. Can you have a look?
Can a bad cold cause variation in lymphocyte count?
Is it anything serious when there is high level of lymphocytes?

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava
General Medicine, Internal Medicine


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • Your other cell counts are normal including platelets and RBC count (red blood cell). You need not worry about the elevated lymphocytes as they will get settled once the infection is curtailed.
  • But, if the lymph nodes do not decrease in size in one or two weeks, then you have to get a FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) done to rule out diseases like tuberculosis and a few blood disorders.
  • Do not worry. It will not turn out to be tuberculosis or leukemia. It has to be kept in mind always for the differential diagnosis. Continue your antibiotics for five days.

Investigations to be done:

FNAC and Mantoux test.

Differential diagnosis:

Viral or tubercular.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back with the reports to a general medicine physician online---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician


Thank you doctor,

I have undergone the PFT test and x-ray chest PA view a week back and both appears normal. Lymph nodes behind my ear and head at several places are settled after a week of antibiotic, but lymph node on my neck is still there though it has reduced a bit. Lymphocytes values have increased mainly after antibiotic intake earlier, it was normal with a little higher value of monocytes and low value of platelet counts. Please advise the specialty doctor I should consult. What is the best way to go further on this?


Dr. Anshuman Srivastava
General Medicine, Internal Medicine


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • An internal medicine specialist or a hematologist would be the best one to guide you.
  • Although it seems to be a self limiting illness, you can wait for a week. The counts and other things would settle down by that time.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Related Questions & Answers

My 1.5 year old baby has low neutrophils and high lymphocytes. Why?
Query: Hi doctor,My 1.5 year old boy has low neutrophils (17%) and high lymphocytes (74%). He has normal hemoglobin and total WBC. We did this blood test one week after vaccinations. There is no actual complaint, and we did the blood test to check if there is iron deficiency. I have attached the blood rep...  Read Full »
Dr. Parth R Goswami
Family Physician, General Practitioner, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per report provided, the lymphocyte count is slightly high. In the case of a child with age 1 to 3, the lymphocyte count can be up to 70%. Lymphocytosis is considered in the child of 1.5 years when the absolute lymphocyte count is more than 9000. Here, it is n...  Read Full »
My lymphocyte count increased by 1000 in eight days. What is wrong with me?
Query: Hello doctor,My age is 27 years, my height is 5’4" and my weight is 65. I have trigeminal neuralgia for which I take Lyrica 75 mg during flareups. I recently had a blood test which indicated low vitamin D (6 ng/ml) for which doctor advised me to take D-rise 60,000 IU/week for eight weeks and then ...  Read Full »
Dr. Dalia Mostafa Nayel
General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your increased WBC and lymphocytes, I could certainly relate it to your trigeminal neuralgia as this is an inflammation of a nerve which would rise WBC levels even if you are in recovery period with no symptoms. But, what I am concerned about is your appetite and abd...  Read Full »
Ferritin level has decreased in spite of taking iron supplements. Should I worry?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21 year old female. Yesterday, doctors have checked my blood. I am visiting a hospital frequently as I have iron deficiency anemia. The thing I am scared about is, my doctor asked me why my ferritin has not increased (just the opposite, it has decreased from 5.79 to 5.77) after...  Read Full »
Dr. Parth R Goswami
Family Physician, General Practitioner, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In viral infection, lymphocytosis means increased lymphocytes and neutrophil is relatively low because of increased lymphocytes. Platelet can be high in iron deficiency anemia. It is not a matter of worry just now. You can provide your reports to guide you further....  Read Full »

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Most Viewed

Streakiness seen in X-ray of lower lung. Could this be IPF?
Hello doctor, I am a 62-year-old male. I went for a routine X-ray, and the radiologist found some streakiness in the lo ...Read more »
How can I manage headache and depression caused due to abuse?
Hello doctor, I am very much feeling depressed due to some health issues. I am having a constant headache due to abuse. ...Read more »
Meprate 10 MG Tablet - Uses, Side Effects, Substitutes, Compositions, Dosage
Meprate is a progestin (a form of progesterone), which is used as a contraceptive pill. It inhibits ovulation by inhibit ...Read more »