Q. My father's health is going down day by day, after the death of his brother. What should we do?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

My father is a 67-year-old male, and he has no diabetes, heart disease, or any other disease. But he feels exhausted and lazy, not involved in family talk, is silent always, and is not interested in foods. Before 1.6 years, his younger brother passed away. After that incident, his health is going down day by day. What should we do?

#

Thank you for taking help from a psychiatrist. I can understand your father's situation. He may have a major depressive disorder. Non-pharmacological management is needed for his depression. He should try to follow the below guidelines to deal with it.

1) He should do exercises daily for 30 to 45 minutes, like at least going for a walk.

2) He should do meditation for 20 minutes daily, sit at one place in a comfortable position and try to concentrate on his normal breathing, do not stop or force himself to control his thoughts; just let it be.

3) He should eat healthy home-cooked foods and avoid junk foods.

4) He must drink enough water.

5) He should spend quality time with friends and family daily.

6) He should spend time on creative hobbies like reading good books, writing journals, painting, drawing, learning new skills or language or musical instruments.

7) He should have seven to eight hours of sleep daily.

8) He must avoid tobacco or alcohol, or any substance abuse.

9) Give him reason to live his life and not to spend it.

10) Be bold and confident.

If he still has symptoms that persist after following the advice for four to six weeks, he needs to start medications for a short duration.

Please, let me know if you want some help.

|