Q. Do positive MT test confirms the presence of tuberculosis in a kid?

Dr. Prakash Nagar

I need to know whether my child is affected by TB or bronchitis? I have attached his ESR, blood test, TST and chest x-ray. Kindly suggest.

Dr. Prakash Nagar

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I have seen the reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The very first thing why you suspected that your child may have TB (tuberculosis)? What are the problems he is having like prolonged cough, are any swelling in the neck or any contact with a person who is known for lung TB?

Looking at his weight, he seems to be growing well. Except for MT (Mantoux tuberculin test) which 15 mm positive, all other tests are normal, x-ray findings are non-specific. Best if you can get his sputum test to isolate germs (in this age group it is done by gastric lavage), or if he has significantly large glands in his neck, then a needle biopsy of the gland which a safe and easy procedure. There is a very fast and accurate test known as PCR (polymerase chain reaction) to confirm the presence of TB germs. If there is a contact with a confirmed case of lung TB, then with this MT result, you need to start medication.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

What are the recommended tests for bronchitis, ear infection and labored breathe in 17-month-old baby?

Query: Hello doctor, In a 17-month-old female child. We keep treating the symptoms but not the overall problem of why these things keep happening. Hardly any tests have been ordered, and we are constantly just treating the symptoms. The problems are: Bronchitis, and right ear infection for which antibio...  Read Full »

I was diagnosed with bronchitis in ER. Is it the correct diagnosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with bronchitis today in the emergency room. I felt very weak and had difficulty breathing and could not wait for my doctor's appointment in two weeks. I have an unproductive cough for a month and a half and burning in my chest. I have attached my reports. Do you se...  Read Full »

I am on ATT and having pain. How to get rid of it?

Query: Hello doctor,I have tubercular arthritis in my right hip. I am in the army, and hence, it is mandatory to be physically and mentally fit. Presently I am on ATT for the last eight months, which showed some improvement, but it also has some cartilage damage and synovial thickening, which is causing pa...  Read Full »