Q. Can I opt biologic Etanercept for ankylosing spondylitis?

Published on Jun 13, 2019

I have ankylosing spondylitis (HLA B27 positive) for the past 12 years and with pulmonary tuberculosis the very next year. And took medicine for nine months, and now I am daily taking Saaz, and I am going to plan for Biologics. The doctor suggested Etanercept 50 mg, but I am afraid of side effects as I was already affected by TB before 11 years. Shall I go for biologic Etanercept 50 mg, and what precautions I have to take during biologics? (I have enclosed the report)

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

You need to do Mantoux test and interferon gamma level before starting biologics because they can cause reactivation of tuberculosis if there is doubt you should receive the two drug ATT regimen (anti-tubercular treatment) before starting biologics that is recommended if either Montoux or interferon gamma is positive.

| 

Mantoux test is positive PPD is 5 TU.

#

Then better would take three months regimen for tuberculosis before starting ATT. You may not have tuberculosis, but prevention is always better than cure.

| 

Can HLA B27 positve male with ankylosing spondylitis affect his children?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years, I had a hip resurfacing surgery eight years back. I am an HLA B27 positive, even my father is also positive. I have joint pain since last fourteen years. Now, I wish to know that, if I marry and have children will this pass on to them? What measures should I take to ens...  Read Full »

Is it safe to use Xolair for urticaria?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been suffering from preliminary chronic urticaria for unknown causes for the last 13 years. It is not responding to antihistamine treatment for the past six years. Sometimes, it gets as severe as I have to use Corticosterone injection (Diprofos). All blood analysis showed no cause....  Read Full »