Q. Should I be concerned about the heart palpitations despite normal EKG levels?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

I have been smoking marijuana for five years which was the norm for me at that time. I did it almost every day. But this one time (I believe now that it may have been laced with something else) triggered a massive panic attack. For a while, I assumed it was just related to anxiety. And ever since then, I have encountered heart palpitations almost daily. I have always been anxious, but I have never had an experience like that. I was diagnosed with panic disorder two years back because they believed the palpitations were stress or anxiety induced, but I am not so sure. I have had multiple visits to the hospital with EKG levels being within normal range. I was constantly sent home saying I just had a panic attack. I am just looking into what condition this might be and if there is a treatment for it. It has pretty much taken over my life. And I am constantly trying to calm my heart rate down.

#

I understand your concern.

A panic attack is caused by palpitations, fast heart rate, and high blood pressure. During a panic attack, the sympathetic nervous system is activated, which causes the heart to beat faster, blood pressure to rise, temperature to rise, and feeling of fear. To control panic attacks, you must avoid all types of drug addictions, including smoking. In addition, do relaxation exercises and meditation and prevent all kinds of negative thoughts and acts. If these measures fail, then antidepressant medicines can be prescribed along with these measures.

|