Q. How can anxiety attacks be managed?

Dr. Vandana Patidar

I am wondering about my friend's case. I have just known that he has been suffering from panic attacks, fear, and anxiety for a long time. As a friend of his, I want to know more tips to do if I was there when he has them or I am not around, more tips about daily life and so on. He is 21 while I am 18. What can we do to make him feel better or to reduce his attacks? What to say and how to behave (we are not a couple), also sometimes he avoids talking to me for long periods. Is that a normal thing?

#

Your friend is suffering from anxiety disorder and panic attacks (an extreme form of anxiety). Anxiety occurs when our brain starts sensing danger without any external cause following which body and brain come to the activated level and physical and mental symptoms of anxiety occur. The things you need to know about anxiety and panic attacks are as follows:

1. Do not panic. It will increase the anxiety and panic of the person suffering from it.

2. Treatment is the mainstay, both pharmacological and nonpharmacological. Ask your friend to get the regular follow up of his psychiatrist.

3. Whenever your friend suffers from the panic attacks, tell positive motivating things like, ask him to take a deep breath, relax, offer him a glass of water, tell him that this will go off and he needs to stay little calm and everything will be alright.

Yes, people with anxiety and depression often start withdrawing from social work but with the treatment, this thing will improve. Treatment should always be the first priority.

|