Q. Can masturbation affect the complete blood result?

Dr. Yashas Saipangallu
Published on Oct 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I was about to get a complete blood test done to check certain parameters. I have attached herein the screen shot of the parameters. I wanted to know if I have masturbated before 36 hours of these tests then would the results be adversely affected? If so, how many hours should lapse after I last masturbate to get these tests done?

Dr. Yashas Saipangallu

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

• Based on the information given by you, it suggests that you are overweight.
  • Masturbation can cause certain biochemical changes if it is tested very soon after ejaculation or at the time of orgasm. But, hardly any changes will be seen after so much gap of 36 hours.
  • Recent studies show that testosterone levels hardly alter after masturbation due to various reasons.
  • Based on attached file (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it can be concluded that your test results will hardly show any significant changes as masturbation is done 36 hours before.

For further information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

Do I need to stop using my vitamin B12 and D supplements before the test?

Dr. Yashas Saipangallu

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

• May I know why are you on supplements of vitamin B12 and D? Do you have any health related issues associated with it?
  • Are you undergoing blood tests for any specific medical indications? What are your health Issues?
  • Consumption of vitamin B12 or vitamin D hardly alters your blood testing reports unless we are testing for the same in your blood. Hence, you need not stop it since there will not be any significant changes in blood reports.
  • If you are anemic (low hemoglobin) secondary to vitamin B12 then consumption of vitamin B12 for prescribed time may show some improvements.
  • If you are suffering from low vitamin D and consumption of vitamin D supplements as prescribed may show some improvements in vitamin D values.
  • Other blood parameters may hardly show any significant changes by supplements vitamin B12 and D.

How to evaluate the reason for low hemoglobin?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 76 years old. She is diabetic and on medication for around 15 years. She is suffering from typhoid fever. Her hemoglobin level is low at 6. She is also very weak to walk on her own for the past few days. Kindly suggest some advice.  Read Full »

What can be done to reduce high vitamin B12 level?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been taking Vitamin B medication for over one year and my Vitamin B12 level is very high, greater than 2000. What should I do to reduce the level? I am 27 years female. Please advise.  Read Full »

Does vitamin deficiency cause twitching and tingling?

Query: Hi doctor, Before a week, I began having twitches and tingling in both legs from the knee down. For some time now, probably 6 months or more, I also began feeling that my legs were heavy and just general weakness all over, not really muscle weakness. I am also a gastric bypass patient and have a his...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now