Q. CBC report for preoperative assessment show low MPV. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

I looked at my CBC report for pre-operative clearance and my MPV is low (8.3). All other CBC values were normal. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

I just gone through all your blood reports. Everything seems to be normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

MPV (mean platelet value) which you specially mentioned like to have on a low level than normal. For that, you initially like to know MPV helps to find out some kind of bleeding disorders (thrombocytopenia and some kind of malignancies).

In general, MPV 7.9 + or - 1.5 will be considered normal. Do not worry much about the report.

Before that, I would like to know a few things like, do you had any bleeding gums or any kind of bleeding manifestations? Is any family history suggestive of malignancies?

| 

No, I have had bleeding gums from time to time but that is not unusual for me, and no family history of cancer in the immediate family.

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

That sounds great. Based on this report, there were no clinical signs suggestive of major disease. You can happily go ahead with your operation.

|