Q. Can Chantix alter someone's memory?

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2021

I started taking Chantix to quit smoking for around three months now. The side effects I noticed were vivid dreams and becoming more withdrawn. Two months back, my girlfriend and I got into a domestic dispute. My honest memory of this incident is that she started verbally abusing me from the bedroom while I was in the kitchen. She then came out and started pulling my hair. I tried to leave, but she kept physically blocking me from the door. We argued for hours until she finally got out of the way and let me go.

Her story is wildly different and I had heard that she was blaming Chantix for my behavior. I scoffed at that idea, but for days I was sure she was trying to set me up. But today, I started off-handedly doing some online research on the drug, and a lot of the stories hit home.

I am so confused and scared right now. What I wanted to know is, is it possible that the memories of that night are not real at all? My Chantix ran out a month back, and I did not get more. I have been so stressed out and want to smoke. Please help.

#

• The behavioral disturbances that you had exhibited were unlikely to have been caused by Chantix (Varenicline).
  • It is just that you got disturbed that day and had reacted to the stressful situation. The memories that you have are real time memories and not imagined as you think.
  • You have developed a craving for smoking again because of an underlying depression following the conflict.
  • I would suggest you try taking tablet Bupron XL (Bupropion hydrochloride) 150 mg twice daily along with tablet Clonotril (Clonazepam) 0.5 mg at night for two weeks to get away from your craving. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start the medication after their consent.
  • Do not worry, and you will slowly get over it.

For further queries consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|