I am 37 years old and have painful irregular periods. Is it due to menopause?

Q. I am 37 years old and have painful irregular periods. Is it due to menopause?

Answered by
Dr. Balakrishnan R
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 27, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 30, 2022

Hello doctor,

I am a 37-year-old female. I have gone from regular to irregular periods. I did home menopause test and all three tests tested positive for elevated FSH. Feeling extremely tired and nausea at times. Moody, irritable, hot flashes, cannot tolerate much heat or the cold, increase in weight despite exercising. Periods were every four weeks with heavy flows and very painful with pain lasting up to 21 hours and flow started out heavy and then lighten up the last two days and would last five to seven days. Now I get period every two to three weeks with little or no pain and periods are much lighter where I only have to use one pad a day instead of eight a day and lasts two to four days. Increase in headaches as well. Insomnia, night sweats and noticed that I sweat more under my arms and body hair (legs and underarms) growing faster than normal. Dizziness at times, heart flutters, and there is off balance feeling.

Kindly help.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

All the symptoms you have mentioned are those of menopause. You have a laboratory confirmation also. Nowadays ladies are entering the menopausal stage at a younger age. To alley these discomforts you can have HRT (hormone replacement therapy). Specifically for these symptoms, I suggest you have tablet Tibolone 2.5 mg once daily for three months. You may have recurrence maybe three to four years later. But you can have this medication again. It has no side effects and is very effective. You can also have Isoflavones capsules once a day. These two will give you a great relief. Try to be as active as possible, physically. More your body weight, more will be the discomforts of menopause. Your expected body weight is 115 to 125 lbs.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can male menopause cause propensity towards sexual adventures outside marriage?

.. understand your concern about your symptoms. It is not the male menopause, you are suffering from boredom (the state of feeling bored). you have everything in you. Everything seems normal in your life.   Read full

I have irregular periods even after taking PCOS medicines for four months. Why?

.. your concern. Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is a disorder that presents throughout life and is easily managed by medication and lifestyle changes. PCOS makes it difficult to conceive and may present with menstrual problems.   Read full

Does lack of periods due to high prolactin level damage general health?

It points out that you had early menopause, which occurs in 5 to 10 percent of women at age less than 40 years of age ... So you must consult your local doctor and get a prescription for HRT (hor   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.