Q. How to stop prolonged menstrual bleeding?

Dr. Sonal Prasad
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 11, 2020

I am suffering from prolonged menstrual bleeding. The bleeding did not stop for the past one month. I have PCOD and I am overweight. How to stop the bleeding? Please help.

#

• I suggest tablet Primolut N 5 mg (Norethisterone) one tablet three times a day till bleeding stops. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent. This will keep your bleeding in control for this cycle.
  • From next cycle, you must start your OCP (oral contraceptive pill) such as Novelon (combination of Desogestrel and Ethinylestradiol) one tablet a day from the first day of cycle for 21 days and stop for the next 7 days.
  • Please make sure that you get your hormonal profile done such as serum LH (luteinizing hormone), FSH (follicle stimulating hormone), estradiol and testosterone done. Also, get thyroid (TSH) and prolactin (PRL) done.
  • Since you are overweight, you must also get fasting blood sugar (FBS) and fasting insulin done. If they are high, then I suggest tablet Metformin to your usual OCP treatment.
  • It is also advisable to get a hemoglobin estimation done as you have bled for a long time now. I suggest tablet Orofer XT (iron supplement) once a day to make up for blood loss.

PCOD.
Menorrhagia.

Hb, TSH, PRL, FBS, fasting insulin and hormonal profile (LH, FSH and estradiol).

Cyclical OCP after bleeding controlled.

Revert back after a month to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|