Q. I get periods on the right time but my bleeding is light. Why?

Dr. Keeranmayee Mishra

I am on birth control and taking it regularly the majority of the time. I had sex on February 16 and he did not use a condom but used pull out method. I had my period the week before. I had a period on time the next month, but it is lighter. This past month, I had a very light period for a day and a half which could probably be considered spotting. I have no pregnancy symptoms, but should I be concerned? Is it likely the change in period could be due to stress of thinking I am pregnant?

Dr. Keeranmayee Mishra

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I understand your concern. I presume that you have not missed your birth control pill and I presume that your cycles are regular. In that case, your egg release would happen around 12 to 16 th day of your period if you count the first day of period as day 1. You had intercourse on the eighth day of your period. So you are protected from pregnancy by three things.

1. You are on pill.

2. You had sex before egg release.

3. You used withdrawal method during sex.

I need to know if you are having delayed cycles? Also please give me certain details. Are you having weight gain? Is there excessive facial or body hair? How much delayed are your periods? Any dark pigmentation around neck or armpits?

Cycles can range anywhere from 21 to 35 days in adults. But if any of the above is developing then it is probable that you are developing hormonal imbalances. During the lockdown period the physical activity of most of us is a bit restricted and also there looms a lot of stress regarding COVID 19. These are factors that may lead to hormonal imbalance and hence delayed cycles.

It is important to engage in some exercises that can be done at home and it is advisable to eat green vegetables and fruits and drink milk regularly. Meditation, diet, and exercise forms the primary regime to avoid irregular cycles. It is better to avoid excessive cheese, fat, butter, ice cream, fast, and junk foods.

| 

No there is no weight gain or dark circles. My period was not delayed, I just had a light period or spotting during the time of my normal period.

Dr. Keeranmayee Mishra

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Not to worry then. If you are continuously on pills then you can be fairly sure that you are not pregnant. Maybe some hormonal imbalances for which I have given you advice which I am pretty sure will be quite used to you.

| 

Does stress affect my menstrual bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I consulted with you the last time whether I can be pregnant as I had sex with my partner on the eighth day of my period and we used condoms as protection. You told that I would not get pregnant. Today I am on the fifth day of my period. On the first two days, the bleeding was no...  Read Full »

Is spotting due to I-pill or early pregnancy symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor,I had unprotected sex five month back and took I-pill within 12 to 14 hours. I have done home tests on the sixth and ninth day which were negative. I had brown spotting on the 13th day and some spotting today as well. My last period was ten days before having sex. Is the spotting due to th...  Read Full »

Does spotting after I-pill rule out pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife started her last menstrual cycle on the 22nd of the previous month. We had protected sex on the 27th of the previous month. Unfortunately, the condom ruptured but, I was able to pull it out a few seconds before ejaculating. Just to be safe, she took an I-pill seven hours after ...  Read Full »